CLUB CORNER: DreamCatchers hopes to weave strong connections between students and elderly

The+founder+of+the+DreamCatchers+organization+was+inspired+by+her+Native+American+heritage+of+honoring+%E2%80%9CSpider+Woman%E2%80%9D+through+weaving+dreamcatchers+and+ultimately+came+up+with+the+name%2C+as+she+mirrors+her+roots+by+honoring+the+dreams+of+elders.+The+club+offers+the+opportunity+for+students+to+form+and+strengthen+connections+with+the+elderly+through+partnerships+with+senior+living+agencies.+
Lindsey Um
The founder of the DreamCatchers organization was inspired by her Native American heritage of honoring “Spider Woman” through weaving dreamcatchers and ultimately came up with the name, as she mirrors her roots by honoring the dreams of elders. The club offers the opportunity for students to form and strengthen connections with the elderly through partnerships with senior living agencies.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

Junior Mikayla Sypinero aimed to address a prominent issue among students on campus: having a lack of meaningful connections with the elderly.

Sypinero first heard of DreamCatchers in January 2023 from a friend in the cabinet of the DreamCatchers club at Brea Olinda High School.

Soon afterward, she was scrolling through her Instagram feed and saw posts of children getting helped by the Make-A-Wish club at El Dorado High School.

It wasn’t until the 2023-2024 school year started that Sypinero, feeling inspired by the work of other clubs at other schools in and outside of campus, began preparing to bring the organization to Sunny Hills by asking her friend from Brea Olinda more about the organization.

“I loved the purpose of the DreamCatchers organization and had a heart to bring the awareness among the students at Sunny [to raise] the importance of respecting and making the effort to help and give back to the older generations,” Sypinero said.

After submitting a club application to the Associated Student Body on Wednesday, Oct. 11, it was officially approved on Tuesday, Oct. 24. The club’s main goals involve having its members support and connect with senior citizens as well as fulfilling the final wish of at least one in hospice care. 

As the club is in its early stages, it is still looking for an agency to partner with in order to create a schedule and determine the location of the assisted living facility it will visit.

“[We’ll] feel happy to be at the senior centers and glad that we can give back to the generations that have already done so much for us,” the president said.

The junior said the group also intends to play bingo and knit blankets with senior citizens in care facilities to help club members form strong bonds with the elderly. 

From its past two meetings, the club addressed caring and interacting with the elderly, planning fundraisers and working on various small projects for senior citizens.

During the club’s most recent meeting on Tuesday, Dec. 5, members made holiday cards containing a small message wishing happy holidays to senior citizens, and were dropped off at the front desk of the Morningside of Fullerton senior living care facility by Sypinero two weeks later.

“The main point is just to connect with [the elderly], whether that be through music or whatever that works,” Sypinero said. “We care about the people around us, and we really are doing it for the better of the people and our school community.”

Seeking the need for connections with all ages for her desired career in the medical field, social media coordinator junior Riya Macwan joined the club to connect with older age groups and found the club’s friendliness delightful.

“This club seemed appealing because I can begin to form bonds with [the elderly] as well as gain leadership skills,” Macwan said. “I think that the vibes of the members and cabinet are very uplifting [and] although I missed the first meeting, I still felt very welcome and comfortable.”

Sypinero plans on working with the Morningside facility and hopes to have a set schedule for visiting the senior citizens by the end of February.

Because the club only has 13 members, Syperino said she aims to increase membership through social media and word of mouth. 

“This club can work to help the generation at our school appreciate the older generations better,” the president said. “We would love for anyone interested to join and become a part of this new club!”

DreamCatchers club meets every other Tuesday during lunch in Room 22. For more information, contact Sypinero at [email protected].