CLUB CORNER: Youngsters get to blast off into the world of STEM with help from Science for Kidz

Science+for+Kidz+club+member+junior+Amy+Roh+%28right%29+helps+a+child+construct+a+paper+hoop+glider+at+the+Boys+%26+Girls+Club+of+Fullerton+on+Tuesday%2C+Nov.+7.+Roh+serves+as+co-president+of+the+Sunny+Hills+chapter+with+two+other+students.+
Christine Yoo
Science for Kidz club member junior Amy Roh (right) helps a child construct a paper hoop glider at the Boys & Girls Club of Fullerton on Tuesday, Nov. 7. Roh serves as co-president of the Sunny Hills chapter with two other students.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

Three, two, one.

Liftoff. 

Just like the paper rocket experiments that members of Science for Kidz have introduced to elementary school students, this recently approved club has taken off in helping Fullerton and neighbor cities.

Approved Tuesday, Sept. 12, by the Associated Student Body, the group is one of seven other local chapters that belong to the non-profit organization of the same name

“I’m really passionate about the club because I definitely think that it’s really important to encourage the younger generation to have an interest in science, technology, engineering, math [STEM],” co-president junior Christine Yoo said.

Yoo said she has been active in the larger Science for Kidz organization since late 2022; the group was founded in 2020 by Sunny Hills alumna Saiya Shah, a freshman now at UCLA.

But the junior wasn’t the one who originally came up with the idea of establishing a local chapter here. Junior Amy Roh, who was already heading up the Kids’ Placentia chapter, pushed for a Sunny Hills version of Science for Kidz, and she asked Yoo and Shah’s younger sister, junior Saiya Shah, to join her as co-presidents, to which the two agreed.

“I brought Science for Kidz to Sunny Hills in order to gather fellow Lancers who have a passion in the STEM field,” Roh said. “Through our regular meetings and in-person events, we were able to spark the curiosity of young students with our interactive activities.”

Juniors Sienna Shah (second from left) and Christine Yoo are among the three co-presidents of a new club this school year called Science for Kidz. The two joined three other members in showing what they do with young visitors at Anaheim’s Haskett Library on Tuesday, Nov. 28. (Image taken by Christine Yoo.)

Since its inception, the club has organized six workshops held twice a month on a Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. at the Haskett Library in Anaheim and at the Boys & Girls Club of Fullerton, Yoo said. The dates vary depending on the organization’s availability to host the group.

The club sources its own materials for these events, bringing to the workshops items members already had at home that they don’t need anymore, she said. Some also donate their own money to buy what’s needed form a store.

At its meetings, Kidz’ leaders go over the workshops that are coming up and encourage members to sign up to attend through the SignUpGenius app.

Club member junior Isabella Reyes recommends others to see what Science for Kidz has to offer. 

“I would highly recommend this club for others interested in science because it’s cool to surround yourself with other classmates that share similar interests,” said Reyes, who has helped out once at the Anaheim library and once at the Fullerton Boys & Girls Club. “Getting to teach and show kids [science] makes the process 10 times more exciting.” 

The Science for Kidz club meets every other Tuesday during lunch in Room 48 and posts more information on its Linktree. For more information, contact Roh at [email protected], Shah at [email protected] or Yoo at [email protected]