CLUB CORNER: Artists collaborate on a variety of media creations to improve their skills

Lyndsey Um
Multimedia members collaborate on projects including photography, stop-motion animation films and soundtrack edits during meetings in Room 47.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

Photography 

Stop-motion animation films

Soundtrack edits

Altogether these contributions of media creations combine into one cliche, the Multi-media club. 

Junior Dennis Oh, dedicated to his craft of making and sharing different forms of media, founded the Multi-media club alongside his friends to expand the interest in content creation at Sunny Hills in the beginning of 2023.

“We just wanted to help other people get into our passions [and] help other people follow our footsteps [in media creation],” Oh said. 

The club focuses on creating various types of media such as videos, photos and music and determining how they can grow the audience for their projects online by analyzing metrics provided by social media sites like YouTube to see which of these projects performed well and which ones didn’t.

“Our [media projects are] for everyone,” the club president said. “We wanted to bring together like-minded individuals that strive to create the best multimedia content for the world to see.”

The club is currently in its early stages, with the current 20 members being sorted and categorized into groups specific to their talents, such as the videography, photography, sound design, visual art and editing groups.

In its meetings, the club researches various film festivals and contests it could enter and brainstorms future collaborative projects to work on. As well as holding many optional in-club competitions for members to participate in, such as its photo and song remix contests.

For the club’s photo contest, members can submit either digital or real-world pictures that “tell a story or invoke a sense of nostalgia to capture the essence of a moment in time,” according to contest details.

Winners will be decided by a vote and will receive Steam and Target gift cards as a courtesy of the club’s treasurer.

Director of the photography and videography departments junior Joel Choe joined the club to follow the footsteps of his father, who learned photography in college.

“When I was around 9, he started teaching me some basics and later, he handed me a book that he used for his course, and taught me pretty much everything about it,” he said. “Although photography [is] not my top interest, it’s always interesting to see how his passion influenced how I take pictures and videos.”

Other than their school-provided Chromebooks, members don’t have access to any other equipment whatsoever on campus, impelling them to create their digital media projects from home using their own technology and materials like iPads and workstations. 

By creating their own video projects, members prepare for their long-term goal of winning the category of film at the LA Film Festivals, which hosts various film festivals in different categories such as comedy, action, animation and indie, with a submission deadline of Jan. 26, 2025 for the club to earn recognition as a whole, Oh said.

Members will continue working and sharing their own media projects after completing their submissions for the LA Film Festivals.

The Multi-media Club meets every two weeks on Wednesday in Room 47. For more information, contact Oh at [email protected].