CLUB CORNER: Members who enjoy photography learn to take the ‘golden opportune moment’ with their cameras

Jacob Kim
Members of the Kairos Photography Club share their passion for taking pictures with peers in Room 45 during lunch.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

The word kairos originated from ancient Greece and means “the golden opportune moment.”

That’s what Kairos Photography Club president junior Elina Lee wants anyone interested in photography to consider before shooting an image.

“I want to inspire others and share how a picture encapsulates not only a fragment of time, but also a memory,” Lee said.

After taking a photography class in eighth grade at Robert C. Fisler School, the junior said she was inspired to start a club on campus that has kairos as part of its name.

She said she proposed her idea to the Associated Student Body [ASB] in October and got it approved the following week.

“In the photography class, I got really inspired by my teacher, and it turned into a hobby that I wanted to share with others,” Lee said. “[Tbe teacher] showed me how photography is fun not only aesthetically, but also works to create something that makes people amazed to see it.”

The president said she hopes for the members of her club to experience various activities aimed to improve their photography skills and possibly attend fundraisers hosted by local organizations, such as the St. Jude Medical Center.

“I think for next year, we’re definitely going to get more involved [in school events], especially involving the football season, where we can get a mentor on board and have them help with taking photos,” she said. “I also hope to get more members involved and do more advertising at the beginning of [next] year.”

Lee plans to contact multiple local professional photographers to teach the members the different specialties in photography.

Members also have the opportunity to take photos at Sunny Hills sporting events for volunteer hours and compete at photography competitions such as the monthly photography challenge, a contest created within the club where participants can submit photographs to the club’s Instagram or Discord regarding a specific topic for a prize. 

During monthly meetings, the cabinet determines the winner of the challenge and rewards them with small objects like keychains.

“I won October’s ‘The City’ challenge,” said senior Joel Jang, who joined the club after Lee reached out to him on Instagram. “I received a small gift bag with snacks, a cute camera keychain and a really cool card.”

So far, the club consists of 25 members and has held 15 meetings, where Lee reviews upcoming events and showcases the club members’ art, called photo features, from the monthly photography challenges or other submissions. 

In the future, the president said she plans on producing the club’s own online magazine with pictures that have been submitted to the photo competitions and other additional photos that the members choose to include. 

“I feel excited to see what’s in store for this club, and I have high hopes for its future,” Lee said.

Kairos Photography Club meets every other Thursday at lunch in Room 45. The members also post updates on the club’s Instagram @shhskairosclub. For more information, contact Lee at [email protected].