CLUB CORNER: Senior hopes to spread awareness about misunderstandings surrounding North Korea

Senior Helen Chung presents slides about donations to North Korea during a jjackchingu club meeting during lunch in Room 105 on Wednesday, Dec. 14.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

Jjackchingu.

Upon seeing this word in print, it may look like someone’s trying to butcher the name, “Jack,” or “Jacklyn.” 

But the word becomes much clearer upon hearing it pronounced in Korean – j jag ching u.

“The name … means ‘best friends’ or ‘very close friends’ in North Korean dialect,” said senior Helen Chung, president and founder of Jjackchingu. “It represents our club’s goal to build a bridge that connects the world with North Korea and become friends with the people from North Korea.” 

North Korea is widely viewed as a repressive authoritarian country ruled by its current dictator, Kim Jong Un. The North Korean system adopts an oppressive system that restricts citizens’ civil rights, leaving it as one of the most isolated countries in the world.

“I was talking to one of my mentors about the main purpose of making this club,” she said. “We strongly believe that one day, people from North Korea, especially the students, will be able to become our close friends, overcoming the diplomatic barriers.”

The club was approved in November of 2023 and as of Jan. 22, there are currently around 18 members.

The club also participated in a fundraiser to send Christmas donations to Foreign Currency Earning laborers, who work in other countries to earn money and send it back to their families. The club earned $150 from a fundraiser held in November by selling vouchers as funds to send Christmas gifts to North Korean laborers. 

This semester, the club plans to raise money through fundraisers and spread awareness by clearing up negative misconceptions of North Korean citizens on social media.

Because Chung’s father worked in a North Korean mission organization, Cornerstone Ministry, she said she grew up hearing a lot about North Korea.  

“As a person who was exposed to these news and stories from North Korea, I was surprised when I realized that the situation in North Korea is rarely spoken about or introduced to people that are around me,” Chung said.

“I hope that one day, North Koreans – especially the students – will be able to become close friends with each other,” Chung said. 

After finding out about the club through Chung, sophomore Kayleen Kim felt inspired to join because of the various club activities such as researching North Korea’s conditions and being able to spread awareness on the club’s Instagram page. 

“[Jjackchingu] is not like any clubs I’ve attended before because it takes a lot of effort and a genuine interest in this topic to make an impact on this cause,” Kim said.

Through its Instagram account @jjackchingu, Chung shares weekly club updates and informational resources, spanning from content on North Korea’s education system to women’s rights.

Working together with club members and Cornerstone Ministry, she hopes to build connections with North Korean citizens by spreading the news and sharing what she knows about the country that many are unfamiliar with.

Jjackchingu meets every other Wednesday during lunch in Room 105. For more information, contact Chung at [email protected].