CLUB CORNER: Health sciences-centered group magnifies focus on medical field

Image used with permission from Seowon Han
Juniors Jisue Kwon (left) and Reyna Luong partake in a lab activity hosted by the Health Sciences Club in Room 105 on Monday, Dec. 11.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade‘s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section

Medicine. Nutrition. Science.

All of these topics are covered for those who attend the Health Sciences Club.

Rather than highlighting a specific career, this new group introduces its members to the vast study of medicine. 

“My goal as the founder was to make health sciences approachable for more students so that they could explore different interests,” president junior Seowon Han said. 

Han said she came up with the idea of forming the Health Sciences club after taking the Regional Occupational Program’s Medical Careers class during the summer of 2023, where she realized she wanted to spread awareness of the subject and explore the field further.

The Associated Student Body approved the club on Thursday, Oct. 19 after Han decided on its straightforward and self-explanatory name.

She hopes the club familiarizes and inspires the members into pursuing different fields related to the health sciences in the future.

“Although I do not have a particular profession in mind, the medical route has always interested me, and I really enjoy the sciences,” co-vice president junior Dana Lee said. “Affiliating myself with this club only further exposes me to the variety of routes within the medical field.” 

During meetings, members hold discussions about different subjects ranging from psychology to physical therapy and participate in activities such as hands-on labs that demonstrate the transmission of viruses, Han said.

The club has around 15 members as of Jan. 19.

“I like the friendly atmosphere that the club provides in addition to the resources and opportunities that are available to gain experience in the medical field,” said senior Jayden Lee, who joined the club in search of a community that shares his passion for healthcare and caters to his need for medical field-based activities. 

The Health Sciences Club meets every other Monday during lunch in Room 105. The club posts updates regarding its activities on its Instagram @shhshealthsci. For more information, contact Han at [email protected].