CLUB CORNER: Junior hopes to pave the way for Future Medical Professionals

Junior Ian Cha presents volunteer opportunities for the upcoming health fair event during his Future Medical Professionals club lunch meeting on Friday, Dec. 15 in Room 48.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body [ASB] has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade‘s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order. For the previous ones that have already been posted, be sure to go to the Feature section.

As far back as when junior Ian Cha was in elementary school, he recalls the chill of the optometrist’s office in Fullerton. 

Cha wasn’t there to treat his own condition, but his mother’s.

“My mom has very bad eyesight, so growing up, I remember going to the optometrist with her,” he said. “Seeing that, I wanted to help people like her in the future.”

Though Cha’s not certain whether he wants to become an optometrist, he has shown an interest in the medical field. So, last October, the junior said he submitted his proposal to the Associated Student Body [ASB] to create a club that supports others who are also interested in the medical profession.

“I wanted to help individuals gain understanding and information regarding the medical field,” said Cha, whose Future Medical Professionals Club earned ASB approval in early November.

During club meetings, members share volunteer opportunities at nearby hospitals and to listen to a guest medical professional speaker whom Cha has invited to appear on  Zoom. 

As of Friday, Jan. 19, the president said the club plans on collaborating with the Rotary Branch of Fullerton to coordinate volunteer opportunities at nearby hospitals. He aims to get this partnership settled by the end of January or early February.

Cha said he also anticipates organizing a health fair at the Southgate Spanish SDA Church located in Lynwood in March.

The club has around 19 members as of Jan. 18. 

“A couple of years ago I tore my ACL in my knee so ever since then I’ve wanted to do something in the field,” said club member junior Gurshaan Pabla.

Cha looks forward to assisting students like Pabla to pursue their interests in health care in the future.

“If you are undecided on your desire or interest for the medical field, the club will certainly point you in the right direction,” Cha said.

The Future Medical Professionals Club meets every other Thursday during lunch in Room 48. For more information, contact Cha at [email protected].