CLUB CORNER: AMirror reflects founder’s passion to help the needy through reselling used clothes

Image used with permission from Kayleen Kim
AMirror club co-president sophomore Stacy Kim presents a Google Slides presentation about plans to sell clothes during the club’s lunch meeting in Room 92 on Wednesday, Jan. 10.

For the 2023-2024 school year, the Associated Student Body has approved 29 new clubs. The Accolade’s cub reporters from the beginning journalism class will report on each new group in alphabetical order.

Remake, resell, buy, give.

This is the cycle that clothes go through in the AMirror Club — all except undergarments.

“We came up with [the name] AMirror because when you wear clothes, you look in the mirror first to see how it looks,” said sophomore club co-president Kayleen Kim, who revamped the fashion styling club that she got from a senior to a charity club. “[I made the club name one word] because it looks cool.”

In the club, members upload pictures of their old clothes at home onto a shared Google slide with their names on it; they can use more than one page of the slide. Then through an Instagram group chat titled, “AMC Amirror Club,” members communicate with each other as to which images they’d like to use to mix and match to design an outfit, Kim said.

Then, once members have figured out which images they plan to use, they will delete them from the shared Google slide and send the pictures to sophomore Chloe Lee, the group’s vice president, she said.

Once that’s done, Lee will finally post the newly digitally designed outfits to Mercari, an online platform for buying and selling used items that Lee has an account with, Kim said.

From that point on, club members are still working with their adviser, math teacher Jina Shia, as to what school procedures they need to follow as to the collection of funds from the clothing sales and the purchasing of new clothing that would eventually be donated to an unspecified organization, the co-president said.

Kim and co-president sophomore Stacy Kim pitched their idea for AMirror last semester in October to the Associated Student Body [ASB], and Kayleen Kim said she received a Sunday, Oct. 22, text message from the ASB election committee that AMirror was approved.

Since then, the group has attracted a dozen members and has held four meetings.

“I like the idea of the club because we design [outfits] for a good cause,” said sophomore Jiwoo Hong, who joined AMirror after hearing about it from the club presidents. 

Kayleen Kim said she hopes to gain more interest in AMirror by making an Instagram account soon. 

“If anyone is interested in fashion or thrifting I hope they know this club is available,” she said.

The AMirror Club meets every first and third Wednesday in Room 92. For more information, contact Kim at [email protected].