‘FAV’ORITE TEACHER: New biology instructor Monet Favreau already making strong impressions among her students

Chloe Kang
Biology teacher Monet Favreau explains how to complete a worksheet about living organisms to her fourth period class on Aug. 29.

This is the sixth in a series of profiles on new, full-time instructors hired at Sunny Hills during or before the fall semester of the 2023-2024 school year. Expect more profiles to be posted soon.

Like the majority of students she teaches in her biology classes, Monet Favreau is a fresh face on campus.

Though freshman students await biology lessons inside the classroom, Monet Favreau is also adjusting to the campus as one of the latest Sunny Hills staff members.

“I decided to become a teacher when I was in high school,” Favreau said. “I knew I wanted to improve high school experiences for future generations by making science interactive and interesting while encouraging students to get involved in school-provided programs.” 

Despite the job being her first time as a full-time teacher, Favreau feels only eagerness for the upcoming school year.

“Everyone I’ve met so far has been so friendly, and I’ve just really enjoyed every part of moving in and getting to know students and other staff, so I’m not nervous about anything,” Favreau said. “I’m just excited for what’s to come.”

Having earned a bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies with a concentration in science in 2021 from Azusa Pacific University and her biological studies credentials in 2022 from California State University of Long Beach, Favreau teaches honors biology during periods 0 and 1 and regular biology during periods 3, 4 and 5. Her passion for the subject stems from her fascination with it from a young age.

“Biology is the study of life, therefore it is applicable to students and important for them to understand as they become a productive member of society,” she said. “I decided that through my interest in biology, I could contribute to the next generations gaining this important learning.”

I hope to impact students’ lives by creating a space where they feel safe to participate and have fun while learning biology.”

— biology teacher Monet Favreau

Before her arrival to Sunny Hills, Favreau said she worked as an athletic pep squad coach at Fountain Valley High School and a long-term substitute teacher at Huntington Beach’s Edison High School.

In her first year as a full-time teacher, Favreau strives toward creating a classroom environment suitable to her students’ needs.

“I would describe my teaching style as inquiry-based and student-centered. I guide the students through exploratory activities that provide students with opportunities to come to understandings in a way that is most efficient for them,” she said. “I hope to impact students’ lives by creating a space where they feel safe to participate and have fun while learning biology.

“I hope that even if students do not prefer science, they look forward to coming to my class.”

Freshman Leona Ashley, a student in Favreau’s fourth period regular bio class, said she’s already impressed with what her new instructor has to offer.

“My first impression of Miss Favreau was that she was energetic and bubbly,” said Ashley, who considers biology to be her favorite class. “It’s still the first semester of school, but I feel like I can trust her with anything already.”

Ashley appreciates Favreau’s effort to form real connections with her students while teaching.

“I enjoy that she’s really interactive with her students,” she said. “It’s so important for a teacher to actually want to know their students and be invested in their lives because it shows that they’re actually interested in helping us grow.”

Freshman Allen Channel, another of Favreau’s students, also considers biology to be one of his favorite classes so far this school year.

“The class is actually very organized — it’s calm but not too calm,” Channel said. “I feel like I’ll learn a lot, and I felt very welcomed.”

Although the school year has just begun, Favreau said she has already started to dive into projects and labs, which are aspects that Channel finds enjoyable about the class. 

It’s still the first semester of school, but I feel like I can trust her with anything already.”

— freshman Leona Ashley

“I like how she lets students get involved and work in groups. She lets us help each other, but she also will help us if needed,” he said. “This is a great class, and I think it’s going to be a good school year.” 

Favreau is not limited to the confines of her own classroom. After a normal school day of teaching biology, she goes to the SH gym to coach the junior varsity cheer team, where she hopes to make a positive impact by encouraging and uplifting the cheerleaders.

“I just really have a heart for coaching, along with teaching. I want the girls to be seen as uplifting and professional by their peers and surrounding community, and I hope to coach them in a way that each cheerleader improves her technique and learns new skills,” Favreau said. “As a cheer coach, I try to be there for my athletes as much as I can to ensure their success.”

When first browsing available teaching jobs online on edjoin.org, Favreau said her first choice was Sunny Hills. 

“I loved the campus and the culture — I’m huge on school spirit,” the newly hired teacher said. “When I looked at the school’s website and social media platforms, I was really excited to join the community and amp up the school spirit as much as I can.” 

Likewise, principal Craig Weinreich said the decision to hire Favreau was evident in her job interview, as her energy and passion for teaching stood out to him during the hiring process.

“She’s very enthusiastic and willing to get involved in all kinds of things on campus,” Weinreich said. “She’s already helping out cheer, and she’s somebody that very much wants to be a part of campus culture and what’s going on with students’ lives.”

The school had an opening in the position because of the recent growth in student population and several staff retirements at the end of the previous school year, Weinreich said.

“We are fortunate to hire a full-time teacher like Miss Favreau to make up for these changes,” he said.

Though a majority of her day is dedicated to teaching and coaching, the science instructor said she still makes time for her hobbies and family, including her pet.

She’s already helping out cheer, and she’s somebody that very much wants to be a part of campus culture and what’s going on with students’ lives.”

— principal Craig Weinreich

“Outside the classroom, I love to be outdoors and adventurous,” said Favreau, who is engaged and will be getting married next July. “I love snowboarding, surfing, fishing, hiking and basically anything that involves nature.”

As a busy teacher, Favreau said she appreciates the low maintenance of her 11-pound California desert tortoise. 

“My dad got the tortoise when he was young, and then he passed him onto me. He’s like a family pet, ” she said. “I don’t really know where the tortoise actually came from, and I imagine he must be really old — maybe about 60 years old.”