Current Events: Friday, April 26
Current Events: Friday, April 26
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee April 26, 2024
Accolade staff writers junior Kayden Kim (left) and sophomore Kevin Lee work on creating magazine layouts for The Accolade’s upcoming May senior issue during fourth period Tuesday, April 17, in Room 138. With the creation of an honors Advanced Journalism course starting next school year, Kim, Lee and their peers on staff can be eligible to earn honors credit for taking this elective if they become an editor.
Starting in the 2024-2025 school year, Advanced Journalism students eligible to earn honors credit
Aiden Park, Opinion Editor • April 25, 2024
Accolade staff reporter junior Teo Jeong watches Disneys Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was released in 1937, to reflect on his initial reactions on viewing the classic film on Wednesday, April 24.
COLUMN: Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho, ‘Snow White’s’ the way to go
Teo Jeong, Staff Reporter • April 25, 2024
Current Events: Thursday, April 25
Current Events: Thursday, April 25
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee April 25, 2024

Fore! Boys and girls golf tryouts slated for today, Dec. 2, after school at Westridge Golf Club in La Habra

Accolade Image File
Then-freshman Hannah Kim lines up her shot as she tries to sink her ball into the hole during an August 2016 practice at the Westridge Golf Club in La Mirada. Boys and girls golf head coach Scott Enrico will hold tryouts to see how many he can a dd to his active roster for both squads today, Dec. 2, at 4 p.m. at the same location.

Boys and girls golf coach Scott Enrico will finally get a chance to see how many students he can add to his rosters when tryouts for both squads will be held today, Dec. 2, after school.

Those interested in showing their skills on the golf course will need to come to the Westridge Golf Club in La Habra at 4-5 p.m., Enrico said. Hitting balls with different clubs while targeting different distances on the golf range will be the main activity.

Since all athletic activities need to abide by COVID-19 health and safety guidelines, the coach said he will provide hand sanitizer for those who want it; disinfectant wipes will also be offered for those who want to wipe down their clubs. All will be required to wear a mask and remain socially distanced at all times.

“Each participant will have their own stall at the driving range, which is pretty spread out to begin with,” Enrico said. “There is no sharing of equipment, so we won’t have any problems with [social distancing].”

The athletes must also be athletically cleared if they plan to attend today.

Any students interested in coming out to the La Habra golf range should email Enrico at [email protected].

Freshman Graham Chun, who plans to try out today, said he doesn’t expect tryouts to be that difficult and is looking forward to seeing all his hours of hard work put into practice pay off.

“Although I do not have a coach, my father and brother taught me golf and I have been practicing with them five times a week for two hours,” Chun said. 

Sophomore Sarah Chong said she feels nervous because COVID-19 and the new school year delayed her time to practice.

“I practiced a lot in the summer but stopped when school came around,” Chong said. “I started practicing more frequently again so I’m not sure as to how it will go but I’m hoping for the best.”

As of Dec. 1, 11 potential golfers, nine of which are freshman boys and the other two being a freshman and sophomore girl, have reached out to Enrico about tryouts.

Athletes interested in tryouts should contact him through his email [email protected], Enrico said.