‘LET’S A GO!’: Universal Studios’ newest attraction, Super Nintendo World, to power up Feb. 17 with rides, attractions featuring characters like Mario and Bowser

It’s Mario time for Universal Studios Hollywood with the new Super Nintendo World set to open Friday, Feb. 17, though some annual passholders got a chance for a preview late last month and continuing through Saturday, Feb. 11.

Bringing to life people’s favorite video game characters like Mario, Luigi and Bowser, this latest attraction has piqued the interest of some Sunny Hills students saying in Mario’s classic line, “Let’s-a-go!” to the Los Angeles County theme park.  

“Ever since I was young, Nintendo video games have always been an important part of my life because it was a common interest for both my sister and me,” freshman Arianna Holguin said. “We basically grew up with this world surrounding us, which is why I am excited for this new release.”

According to the Universal Studios Hollywood website , those interested in checking out Super Nintendo World are encouraged to make reservations using the theme park’s app.

According to a Jan. 18 Universal Studios news release, “the all-new, innovative, immersive and highly-themed land debuts as a visual spectacle of vibrant colors and architectural ingenuity located within a newly expanded area of Universal Studios Hollywood.”

Following the first Super Nintendo World theme park that opened in Osaka, Japan, on March 18, 2021, this will be the second one to open globally.

Besides the landscape, sophomore Shenelle Bible said she looks forward to going on Super Nintendo World’s only ride so far: Mario Kart: Bowser’s Challenge.

“I love the concept of it — how the virtual reality rides really make everything come to life and how we get to experience being the characters ourselves,” said Bible, who plans to visit the park during spring break next month. “It seems like it would be loads of fun to virtually ride a kart and be with other characters besides me.”

Having not been able to visit Universal Studios for the past three years, sophomore Alex Rivera said he, too, looking forward to going on Mario Kart: Bowser’s Challenge. 

“I was aware of the Japan release and was eager to see it released in California,” Rivera said. “I have only gone to Universal Studios once, but I would definitely revisit to go to Super Nintendo World if I got the chance.”

Likewise, Holguin said she knew about the Super Nintendo World in Japan through social media photos and hopes that Universal Studios Hollywood will have similar attractions. 

Video used with permission from Universal Studios

“I want to see it all — the enlarged colorful blocks put together to make up Bowser’s Castle,” the freshman said. “When I first heard about the opening in Japan, I had a part of me that wished it would someday be included in the Universal Studios nearby, and so now it is like a wish come true.”

The Universal Studios Hollywood version is expected to exceed what has already been established in Tokyo with novel rides and sites. For example, the multi-sensory ride, various dining options and updated character-like souvenirs are all new additions. 

“My favorite part is how immersive the park in the Mario world is, from the faithful design of terrain to the power-up’s sliding and the coins spinning,” Rivera said. “I think it’s a great addition to Universal Studios park because of how it seems to be the first amusement attraction based on a video game in California.”

Universal Creative and Nintendo, an online multinational video game company in Kyoto, collaboratively created Super Nintendo World, according to nintendoland.com.

From recreations of video game characters such as Mario and Luigi to huge towers built with colorful red blocks, Holguin said she is eager to reconnect with her childhood memories. 

“When I saw pictures of this new place online, I was actually pretty surprised because it was so much bigger than I had thought in my head,” she said. “If I go, I can’t wait to see Princess Peach and Mario in person because they are my favorite characters.” 

For food lovers, the Toadstool Cafe features unique meals inspired by features from the Super Mario game.

Junior Jack Rosenkranz said he’s most looking forward to eating the Mario Burger with bacon mushroom and cheese ($16.99) and savoring the ? Block Tiramisu ($9.99).

“Something that really stood out to me as I found out about this was the different varieties of food shaped like Toad and Magikoopa,” said Rosenkranz, who found out about the theme park through a news app on his phone. “I wonder how the desserts would taste like and if it would taste any different if Chef Toad served me himself.”

Something that really stood out to me as I found out about this was the different varieties of food shaped like Toad and Magikoopa. I wonder how the desserts would taste like and if it would taste any different if Chef Toad served me himself.

— junior Jack Rosenkranz

In addition, power-up bands are available for purchase, which Bible and Holguin said they are interested in because they allow visitors to keep score during games like Bowser Jr. Shadow Showdown, where visitors will get the chance to collect three keys to confront Bowser and unlock special opportunities to meet with question-mark blocks and costumed characters.

“I think power bands will make the land so much more interactive and alive,” Bible said. “It’ll make the land feel very realistic as if you’re actually in the world.”

Moreover, season passholders with the Platinum Annual Pass or Gold Annual Pass can enjoy their experience with discounts that will save around $225 per year. Prices for the Annual and Gold Pass cost from $200-$600.

According to Universal Studios Hollywood, guests who hold the Universal Express will have reservation-free entries into Super Nintendo World once per day, which becomes helpful because the visitor count is limited.

“I think Super Nintendo World is a great addition to Universal Studios because it was a piece of my childhood,” Rosenkranz said. “I know for sure that my younger self would be overjoyed to go and experience all the creativeness in real life.”

Do you plan on checking out Universal Studios' new Nintendo Land next month?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.