Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee March 14, 2024
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Sophomore Sophia Gentile (left) and junior Maya Kew-Layton practice sprinting uphill on Lancer Way toward the parking lot by the Performing Arts Center during sixth period on Monday, March 4.
GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD PREVIEW: Lady Lancers hope to win championship for their last season in the Freeway League
Seowon Han, Spotlight Editor & Business Manager • March 13, 2024
Junior Evan Sereg (left) listens to senior Nicolas Galven play his guitar during lunch in the quad on Thursday, March 7.
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah Lee March 13, 2024

Girls volleyball shuts out Buena Park in three straight sets

Kristel Laceste
Setter junior Jacky Woo gets ready to serve the ball against Buena Park High School’s girls volleyball team in an Oct. 5 home game that the Lady Lancers won in straight sets.

Despite a slow start to the season, the Sunny Hills girls volleyball team won its third consecutive match, defeating the Buena Park Coyotes Tuesday, Oct. 5, at home.

“We are on our way for a big comeback,” girls volleyball head coach Amanda Donaldson said of her team’s overall 4-3 record. “We gave away two big matches at the beginning of our league against Troy when we had game point and against Sonora when we had a heavy, heavy lead. So even though it’s no secret that Buena Park tends to struggle in our league, it was important for us to be able to get really good reps today and really good practice.”

The first set began with the Coyotes scoring the first point through an ace from Buena Park outside hitter Anna Hernandez; however, the Lady Lancers quickly followed with a kill from outside hitter sophomore Kayla Taylor and five more of the same from outside hitter, senior Jocelyn Penaloza, to finish the first set 25-14.

“I think we did have a good offense, trying to find the spots in between players to hit the ball,” Taylor said. “Their defense wasn’t bad, but I think we played pretty well throughout.”

After winning the first set, the Lady Lancers continued to dominate in the second set with a strong offense that the Coyotes had trouble overcoming. With six ace serves from Taylor, Sunny Hills took the second set 25-5.

“In set two, Kayla came in clutch with her serves,” the coach said. “Serving and passing will win us games aside from hitting, which is what everyone thinks is the most important part.”

With a two-set lead, Donaldson opted to substitute her starters in the third set with bench players to give them some playing time. That allowed the Coyotes to remain closer to the Lady Lancers, though the latter still held a 12-10 lead halfway through the third set.

Outside hitter senior Mykena Morley was a big factor in putting the Coyotes away, scoring seven points to conclude the set 25-20 and to secure the victory.

“I think the team was able to win the final set because no matter who is on the court, we know what to do and how to finish,” Morley said. “The girls are really good at communicating after bad errors and supporting each other if someone makes a mistake.”

The final score for the Thursday, Oct. 7, away match against Troy was not available at press time.