Girls basketball aims for deeper run into CIF playoffs

Shooting guard and small forward senior Rachel Kim drives into the lane while in a scrimmage against team assistants and other girls basketball players at the Sunny Hills gym Nov. 14. Photo taken by Accolade photographer Paul Yasutake

Coaches: Jae Byun, (head coach), Gene Bordy (assistant coach), Janice Lee (assistant coach), Ronnel Quedit (graduate assistant)

Top returning players: Jaidyn Decastro (12), Annika Johnson (12), Jessica Kim (10)

Outlook: The girls basketball team aims to perform better in its season after its elimination in the first round of CIF-Southern Section Division 2A last year. 

“We are looking forward to playing with toughness and discipline,” Byun said. “We’re not a physically imposing team, but we’re hoping we can make up for it with our defensive tenacity and offensive execution.”

Point guard Decastro said she looks forward to another year of success with her team. 

“[I want to] play hard and give this year my all,” she said. “[I love] spending time with my team and [watching] them improve.”

In addition, Kim, a guard, said she has set high goals for this season in hopes of advancing further in the Freeway League.

“I want to play my best and help my team earn a top spot  in the league,” she said. 

The team’s Freeway League standings by season’s end is not the only thing the Lady Lancers are  focusing on as they’re getting ready for the Nov. 18 Whitney Tournament at Whitney High School.

“Our goals [are to] take it one practice and game at a time [and to] put the team first and play for one another,” Byun said.