Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee March 14, 2024
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Sophomore Sophia Gentile (left) and junior Maya Kew-Layton practice sprinting uphill on Lancer Way toward the parking lot by the Performing Arts Center during sixth period on Monday, March 4.
GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD PREVIEW: Lady Lancers hope to win championship for their last season in the Freeway League
Seowon Han, Spotlight Editor & Business Manager • March 13, 2024
Junior Evan Sereg (left) listens to senior Nicolas Galven play his guitar during lunch in the quad on Thursday, March 7.
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah Lee March 13, 2024

Senior Cece Hamby crowned homecoming queen during halftime of Oct. 4 football game

Last year’s homecoming queen, Jessica Barrow (left), passes on her title to senior Cece Hamby during halftime of the Oct. 4 football game between Sunny Hills and Sonora. Hamby was the first to be crowned homecoming queen at the modernized Buena Park High School turf stadium, where Sunny Hills plays its home football games. Photo by Accolade photographer Paul Yasutake

Senior Cece Hamby was named homecoming queen during halftime of the Oct. 4 football matchup between Sunny Hills and Sonora — the first time that the coronation was held at the modernized Buena Park High School turf stadium where the Lancers play their home games.

“I felt very grateful and shocked when I was announced,” said Hamby, who hours earlier chose her freshman brother J.D. to escort her during the Oct. 4 homecoming assembly in the gym. “This whole week was an experience that I will take with me throughout my life and look back on in the future.”

During the coronation ceremony, all five senior princesses were escorted by their fathers down the pathway onto the center of the field where arbor arches framed the backdrop of this year’s homecoming theme based on Peter Pan’s Neverland.

“As I was walking down onto the field, I was very nervous but excited when I heard the cheers,” Hamby said. “When I saw my friends and as I held onto my father, I couldn’t help but smile and enjoy myself even with all the nerves.”

Each princess’ name was announced to the stadium crowd by senior Jennifer Brezoi and Abby Kim while senior Evan Kim dressed up as Peter Pan to deliver the result based on voting among the Sunny Hills student body.

After Hamby’s name was announced as the winner, last year’s homecoming queen, Jessica Barrow, moved toward the center of the stage to officially transfer her title to the senior.

“I was able to grow as an individual and was able to face my fears and turn even the more challenging aspects into a more positive experience,” Hamby said after the coronation. “Throughout this whole experience, I was able to fully appreciate everyone who has helped and supported me throughout my high school life.”