Prom court revealed during Thursday, March 28, event in the quad

+The+five+nominees+for+this+years+prom+king+stand+together+after+being+handed+their+sashes+during+the+Thursday%2C+March+28%2C+event+in+the+quad.+%0A
Sue Kang
The five nominees for this year’s prom king stand together after being handed their sashes during the Thursday, March 28, event in the quad.

Nearly two weeks after the prom theme video release, the Associated Student Body [ASB] announced the 10 seniors to represent the court on Thursday, March 28. 

The nominees for prom king were announced first, followed by those for the prom queen. 

One by one students made their way up to the stage and were handed a sash as a congratulations and the candidates for prom queen were also given a tiara. 

The five seniors nominated as prom princesses were Emily Abitria, Atarah Amirthiah, Seannea Arceo, Iris Kim and Kelly Marquez.

“I was a little nervous when they told me but also super excited,” Amirthiah said. “When they announced it, all my friends were cheering for me, which was really nice as well.”

Up for prom king are the following: seniors Andy Aguirre, Anthony Cano, Ryder Robbins, Nathan Leopaldo and Benjamin Blodgett.

The announcement was unlike that of the homecoming court last semester when for the first time in school history, a boy — sophomore Kevin Hur — got nominated as an underclassman princess.

Students on the prom court were notified that they were chosen by the ASB elections commissioners the evening of Wednesday, March 27. 

“I was completely surprised to find out I was on prom court,” Abitria said. “Being on [the court] is honestly such an exciting thing to experience in high school.”

Following the unveiling, the seniors were escorted to the ASB room, where junior class president Sean Lee went over basic guidelines of their campaigns. 

Students who wished to run for court began promoting themselves as early as the week of Monday, March 18, through posts on Instagram asking their followers to consider voting for them. 

Candidates were voted for on the 5-Star app by seniors through a form, which was open from Monday, March 24 to Wednesday, March 27, and included the entire graduating class. 

Aguirre said he wanted to be on the prom court similar to his cousin, then-senior Alyssa Galvez, who was named prom queen last year. 

“My campaign was mostly [compelled because it is] my senior year and also the fact that my cousin won prom queen last year and I wanted to follow in her footsteps,” he said. 

While at the venue, juniors and seniors attending prom will be able to vote at a designated chromebook station using their student IDs.

The king and queen will be revealed on Saturday, April 6, at the end of prom, which is held at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach.