ASB vice president crowned homecoming queen

Summer Sueki
Senior Lindsey Kang (left) shares a special moment with her father after being crowned homecoming queen during halftime of the Friday, Sept. 30, football game between Sunny Hills and Fullerton at Buena Park High School stadium.

Senior Lindsey Kang, the Associated Student Body vice president, was named homecoming queen Friday, Sept. 30, during halftime of the Sunny Hills football team’s Freeway League home opener against Fullerton Union High School at Buena Park High School stadium.

“Right before they announced that I won, I was kind of nervous and eager to hear who won,” Kang said. “But at the same time, I believed that no matter the result, everyone on the court is a queen.” 

All six princesses were escorted by their fathers onto the center of the football field, where a backdrop of this year’s homecoming theme, “Enchanted Garden,” was displayed.

“When being escorted down and hearing everyone’s cheers and support, I felt super grateful for this opportunity,” said Kang, who represented Dance Production on the homecoming court. “I was not expecting to win at all, so it was a complete shock when I won.”

Kang’s assembly escort and friend, Associated Student Body president senior Jacky Woo, said she felt happy and emotional when she heard Kang’s name announced at the football game during halftime.

“I’m so glad she won queen because she truly deserves it,” Woo said. “She works insanely hard and she’s one of the most genuine and kindest souls I know.”

After Kang’s name was announced as the winner, last year’s homecoming queen, Savannah Thul, walked toward the center of the stage to officially transfer her title with flowers.

“I’m thankful for everyone in my life and all the support that was given to me,” Kang said. “It truly was an amazing experience.”

After the coronation, the Lancer football team resumed play in the third quarter and defeated the Tribe, 14-13.