FROM SONORA TO SUNNY

September 19, 2022

Rebekah Kim

Assistant principal of Pupil Services Katie Wright works in her new office at the beginning of the school year after coming from Sonora High School, where she had served as an administrator for four years. Some of her favorite sayings like “NEVERTHELESS, SHE PERSISTED,” “I LITERALLY CAN’T EVEN” and “LIVING THE DREAM” are also displayed to her left on the window sill.

‘LIVING THE DREAM’: Fifth-year administrator Katie Wright motivated by sayings and her Snickerdoodle

From Shakespearean plays to Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird, Katie Wright has been immersed in classic literature since she was in elementary school.

Soon enough, her love for reading blossomed into a career as an English teacher, which in turn eventually led her into administrative roles.

“I was just looking for new challenges and opportunities,” Wright said. “I wanted a chance to have a seat at ‘the table’ of where decisions are made when it comes to curriculum, best practices, districtwide protocols, etc., and as an administrator, I have more of a chance at impacting a larger audience.”

Wright, who formerly worked as the assistant principal of Pupil Services at Sonora High School in La Habra for four years, is starting a new chapter of her life after being transferred to Sunny Hills under the same role starting this 2022-2023 school year. 

Though Sonora was a gratifying experience for her, Wright said she is thrilled to oversee the Guidance and Counseling department — which includes responsibilities of managing counselors, college and career exploration, class scheduling, social emotional support and graduation clearance — as well as the special education department for this school year. 

She replaces assistant principal Sarah Murrietta, who over the summer stepped into Melissa Stinson’s role as an administrator overseeing Instruction and Operations after Stinson accepted a position at the district as the Title IX coordinator.

“It’s just a wealth of knowledge over here,” Wright said. “Everybody is really focused on doing what’s best for students, which has been great.”

CHAPTER ONE: INSPIRATION FROM A JOURNALISM INSTRUCTOR

Raised in Orange, Wright attended and graduated from El Modena High School in the Orange Unified School District [OUSD], where she was involved as an editor for her own high school newspaper.

“I learned how much words can truly inspire and connect all of us,” Wright said. “Journalism also taught me so much about the importance of critical thinking and the art of persuasion that I still use every single day.”

After getting her bachelor’s degree in English from California State University, Fullerton, Wright said she took the next year to also get her English teaching credential.

Afterward, she said she initially worked as a substitute teacher for the OUSD for about 1.5 years before getting offered a job in 2010 as a full-time English teacher at OUSD’s Portola Middle School, where she also served as the Associated Student Body adviser.

Wright said she worked at Portola Middle School for four years before moving to teach at Orange High School for another four years — also teaching English. 

“I love writing, I love reading, and I love talking about writing and reading,” she said. “I enjoy helping people connect different ideas and talk about why they feel that way.”

“I love writing, I love reading, and I love talking about writing and reading. I enjoy helping people connect different ideas and talk about why they feel that way.”

— Katie Wright

Wright credits her high school journalism adviser, also an English teacher, for inspiring her to pursue a career in education.

“He was fantastic — he’s why I became an English teacher and actually got a chance to do my student teaching with him afterward,” she said. “Journalism would have been fun and exciting, but teaching seemed like I could have a direct and positive impact on people who maybe needed it most.”

CHAPTER TWO: BACK TO SCHOOL

After working nearly a decade as a teacher, Wright had the ambition to switch gears and to pursue an administrative degree at the graduate level. In December 2015, she graduated from Concordia University in Irvine with a master’s degree in education administration.

The assistant principal said she is currently in the process of obtaining her doctorate degree in K-12 Educational Leadership from USC through its online program in which she expects to graduate from in May 2024.

“As I continue down my pathway of administration, my next step will be a principal, so I’m really looking forward to learning from Mr. [Craig] Weinreich because everybody is always so positive about him,” Wright said. “I’m also trying to meet all the new students, their families and the community to see where I can fit in and help to the best of my abilities.”

Weinreich said he, too, looks forward to working with her for a smooth and successful school year.

“Ms. Wright has a lot of enthusiasm and energy, and she loves working with kids and being involved,” the principal said. “Her knowledge and experience for her position is really strong, and she brings a solid instructional and guidance background — that’s going to be very helpful for our campus overall.”

“Ms. Wright has a lot of enthusiasm and energy, and she loves working with kids and being involved. Her knowledge and experience for her position is really strong, and she brings a solid instructional and guidance background — that’s going to be very helpful for our campus overall.”

— principal Craig Weinreich

FINAL CHAPTER: INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL

“NEVERTHELESS, SHE PERSISTED.” “LIVING THE DREAM.”

These are among the phrases Wright has on display in her office in Room 5.

After receiving both of these signs as gifts from important people in her life, she said she keeps them in her office to motivate herself and also others who visit her office.

“[The ‘NEVERTHELESS, SHE PERSISTED’ sign is there] just to remind me to keep up the good fight for students through any barriers that may stand in my way,” Wright said.

The phrase “LIVING THE DREAM” is plastered on a die that has other phrases like “THE STRUGGLE IS REAL” and “ADULTING IS HARD” — she changes what phrase is displayed based on her mood for the day.

“It’s important to me that this space represents my personality and interests because I spend a lot of time here — more than my own home some weeks,” she said. “Plus, I think it makes parents and students feel more comfortable when they can see a little piece of me personally through my decor.”

A final motivation for Wright is Snickerdoodle, her 11-year-old pet toy poodle. Since June 2011, the administrator said she and Snickerdoodle have been inseparable.

Wright appreciates Snickerdoodle’s intelligence and sass as well as her unique talents, which include walking — both forward and backward — on her two back legs for minutes at a time. 

“She’s pretty much my ride or die,” she said. “There is no way anyone could look at her and have her not immediately brighten their day.”

About the Writer
Photo of Hannah Lee
Hannah Lee, Web Managing Editor
Senior Hannah Lee looks forward to her third and final year on The Accolade staff as the web managing editor. After serving as a copy editor and opinion editor in the past, Lee is excited to experiment with multimedia elements to broaden her journalistic skill set. Though she still enjoys designing print issue layouts for readers, Lee hopes to focus on helping maintain the online website this school year.

Outside of The Accolade, Lee is involved with several school clubs, such as UNICEF and Science Olympiad. In her free time, she enjoys playing the piano and spending time with her older sister, Vivian.