Current Events: Tuesday, April 23
Current Events: Tuesday, April 23
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee April 23, 2024
An artist’s rendering of Ariana Grande’s Eternal Sunshine photoshoot released on Friday, March 8. The photoshoot encapsulates the ethereal aura Grande desires for her album.
MUSIC REVIEW: Ariana Grande opens up new chapter of her life with post-divorce album
Stacy Kim, Feature Editor • April 23, 2024
Current Events: Monday, April 22
Current Events: Monday, April 22
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee April 22, 2024
Current Events: Friday, April 19
Current Events: Friday, April 19
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee April 19, 2024

Got talent?: Viewers will find out by paying $10 to watch Sunny Hills senior, Dance Production take on other acts from the district Friday, April 23

Image used with permission from Leiana Volen and Jennifer Maletto.
Choreographed by Shana Ned, Dance Production filmed its video performance Feb. 23 in the parking lot behind Fullerton’s Amerige Heights Town Center. Titled “Forever Changed,” the video garnered the most votes for a group during the virtual March 12 Quadshow sponsored by the Conservatory of the Fine Arts.

After earning the most votes for individual and group performance at the Conservatory of the Fine Arts [COFA] Quadshow, a senior and Dance Production [DP] will advance to the Rotary Club of Fullerton’s “Got Talent” Show Friday, April 23.

Charis Lee sang Louis Armstrong’s “La Vie En Rose” for the virtual Quadshow while DP submitted an approximately three-minute video performance filmed Feb. 23 in a parking lot behind the Amerige Heights Town Center.

“I feel incredibly honored that students voted for me,” Lee said. “My jaw dropped, and I screamed both internally and out loud [when I found out that I won].” 

Although the senior said she made a last-minute decision to switch songs, she still spent nearly five hours practicing, recording, adding sound effects and filming her performance video while managing to secure the most votes from students. 

Because the annual March 12 Quadshow was held virtually this semester because of the COVID-19 health and safety protocols, DP was able to go beyond the confines of the campus to video record its performance, titled “Forever Changed.”

“We’ve been working hard to keep creative and put out work that showcases our team the way we would in a normal school year,” DP director Leiana Volen said. “In fact, the ability to film has added a new element of creativity to our dancing, and it’s been very fun to experiment with how film can enhance our performances.”

Lee and DP will compete Friday for a chance to win up to $750 for Sunny Hills’ Associated Student Body [ASB] as part of the 7-8:30 p.m. district-wide talent show, which will be released as a YouTube Live video.

To watch it, viewers would need to contribute $10, which will give them five votes to cast for the student or team entertainer.

Lee said she sang “Paper Hearts” by pop-country artist Tori Kelly during the filming for the talent show at La Habra’s Performing Arts Theater building April 10.

“It was a song that I had practiced in elementary school, and it resurfaced recently, and so I decided to sing it.” she said.  

Because DP was unable to show up in person to perform in front of a camera, it along with acts  from other campuses in the district will be part of a “Submitted Video” category for the YouTube Live video.

“I’m really thankful that we can help raise money for ASB through [our performances], especially because I’m also a part of ASB and [the money] could be really beneficial to our fund,” DP junior Tara Kim said. “It’ll also be a great opportunity for us to show off our talent and hard work that we put in this year.”