Juniors Lucas Saab (left) and Eunchong Lee cut out cardboard for their Advanced Placement Environmental Science class in Room 112 on Wednesday, Feb. 14. Students were doing this to examine with a microscope the cardboard and how it catches air particulates.
Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah LeeFebruary 22, 2024
Section editors of the 2022-2023 school year work on newspaper layouts in  The Accolade  room after school. This was a recurring daily routine during the week that print issues were released.
Old-style methods just lower my GPA
Faith Jung, Entertainment Editor • February 19, 2024
Girls tennis player junior Daniela Borruel (center) received her certificate of recognition alongside her two Sunny Hills classmates, who were also in attendance to receive their own certificates for being Adopt-A-Park volunteers, from the Fullerton City Council in City Hall on Tuesday, Jan. 16.
GAME BALL: Girls tennis co-captain earns Fullerton City Council award after finishing 58-0 in high school singles matches last fall
Dareen Hagekhalil, Staff Reporter • February 18, 2024
The Sun family sans the patriarch gather to come up with an important plan in Episode 5, “The Rolodex.”
Netflix’s action-comedy series packs a punch with compelling brother dynamics
Irene Sheen, Managing Editor • February 17, 2024

Boys water polo loses its first game of the season against Fullerton on Wednesday, March 3

Brianna Zafra
Sunny Hills utility player junior Andrew Lee looks to pass the ball to one of his teammates during a Wednesday, March 3, home game against Fullerton Union High School. The Lancers lost their first game of the season 17-4.

In its first dive into the 2020-2021 season, the Sunny Hills boys water polo team faced a challenging opponent in Fullerton Wednesday, March 3, faltering in the second half when the Lancers’ defense failed to stop a barrage of goals by the Tribe. 

“It was our first game, so we were rusty,” goalie senior Josh Beutter said. “We 100% need to work on our passing. If we don’t improve on passing, we’re not going to be able to win any games.”

After the Tribe beat the Lancers in the opening sprint to reach the ball, Fullerton began wearing down the defense, ending with a goal just within 20 seconds of the quarter. Two more scores from Fullerton later, the Lancers got on the scoreboard at the 3:06 mark of the first quarter when utility player junior Elijah Vera scored from a lob shot center cage. 

Despite losing the season opener 17-4, Beutter made some critical saves throughout the first quarter, keeping the game close. 

“Josh is a tremendous goalie and really kept us in the game,” head coach Keith Nighswonger said. “In the first quarter, it was only 3-1, and it was mainly because of what he was doing in the goal.”

After two back-to-back goals from the Tribe’s offense, utility player senior Kyle Lee changed the tide in the second quarter, scoring two goals from within five meters — one of the two coming after a cross-cage assist from Vera.

“Honestly, [my goals] didn’t really matter,” Lee said. “I was just happy we had something going for us.” 

In the third and fourth quarters, the Lancer defense could no longer hold off the Tribe as Fullerton racked up nine more points with only a single goal coming from Lee in the fourth quarter. 

Despite the loss, Nighswonger said it was obvious from the score what area his players will need to work on.

“We didn’t play good transition defense, and we’ll have to go back to the drawing board on that one,” he said. “We need to try to be more organized defensively, and we’ll keep working on that.”

Parents and families spectated the game from the bleachers while maintaining a six-foot distance throughout the duration of the game. Two spectators were allowed per water polo athlete and the administration diligently monitored the audience. 

While Lancers did not have to wear a mask in the pool, they were required to wear one while sitting on the bench. Both boys’ levels had full rosters. 

The Lancers (0-1) will next face La Habra (0-1) in another home game Friday, March 5, at 3 p.m.