An artist’s rendering of a scene from rapper Lil Nas X’s music video, “J Christ,” that went viral earlier this year. The 24-year-old musician, who announced his gender preference on June 30, 2019, through a tweet on X, formerly known as  Twitter, presents himself on the cross, replicating Jesus.
MUSIC REVIEW: Lil Nas X’s new single goes viral for wrong reasons
Stacy Kim, Feature Editor • February 24, 2024
Juniors Lucas Saab (left) and Eunchong Lee cut out cardboard for their Advanced Placement Environmental Science class in Room 112 on Wednesday, Feb. 14. Students were doing this to examine with a microscope the cardboard and how it catches air particulates.
Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah Lee February 22, 2024
Section editors of the 2022-2023 school year work on newspaper layouts in  The Accolade  room after school. This was a recurring daily routine during the week that print issues were released.
Old-style methods just lower my GPA
Faith Jung, Entertainment Editor • February 19, 2024
Girls tennis player junior Daniela Borruel (center) received her certificate of recognition alongside her two Sunny Hills classmates, who were also in attendance to receive their own certificates for being Adopt-A-Park volunteers, from the Fullerton City Council in City Hall on Tuesday, Jan. 16.
GAME BALL: Girls tennis co-captain earns Fullerton City Council award after finishing 58-0 in high school singles matches last fall
Dareen Hagekhalil, Staff Reporter • February 18, 2024

Girls basketball tryouts slated for Thursday after school on the sport courts

Aliyah Ahmad
Girls basketball shooting guard junior Faith Hong gears up for a shot during a Dec. 9 practice on the SH outdoor sports courts. Tryouts for the girls basketball team are set to be held Thursday, Feb. 25, from 4-5 p.m. on the outdoor sports courts.

Prospective Lady Lancers will have a chance to vie for a spot on the Sunny Hills’ girls basketball squad Thursday from 4-5 p.m. on the outdoor sport courts. 

Head coach Jae Byun said he is looking to fill the frosh-soph and JV teams through the tryouts, but girls can aim for a spot on the varsity squad as well. 

“It’s all up to if their skill level suffices,” he said. “I’m looking forward to seeing them on the court.”

As of Feb. 24, the California Interscholastic Federation- Southern Section has yet to approve indoor sports yet, however, Byun is still choosing to hold tryouts in hopes of a change. 

There is a high likelihood that basketball season will not happen this season unless some dramatic revisions are made to the guidelines,” the coach said. “Students may have to tryout again and when we are able to have a season, we will have another set of tryouts for the whole program. 

Before attending the tryout, those competing for roster spots must complete their athletic clearance and waiver found on the Sunny Hills website under “Important News & Announcements” or in the front office in Room 5. 

Students will be provided with sanitized basketballs to pass in drills and are expected to wear athletic shoes, a T-shirt and basketball shorts. The coach also suggests that students bring water to the hourlong tryout.  

Though the students are allowed to pass to each other, they will have to wear masks and maintain a six-foot distance from others throughout the duration of the tryout, Byun said.  

“We will be doing a variety of drills that allow us to evaluate an athlete’s fundamentals and athletic abilities,” he said. “Students will need to do individual drills, like dribbling, as well as shooting, running and jumping.”

As of Feb. 19, no students have personally contacted the coach, and it is unclear how many estimated students will attend the Thursday tryout, he said. 

Nevertheless, freshman Dareen Hagekhalil said she is actively preparing for the tryout and looks forward to showcasing her basketball skills. 

“I’m aiming for the JV team so, in addition to my workout for my PE class, I’ve been working on my dribbling and my two-point shots,” Hagekhalil said. “I’m a little nervous, but overall, I feel fairly confident. Plus I’ve become pretty used to wearing masks so I’m sure it won’t hinder my abilities during the tryout at all.” 

If students are interested in trying out for the basketball team and have any additional questions, they should contact Byun through his school email at [email protected].