Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris LeeApril 17, 2024
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Noah Lee, and Asaph LiApril 16, 2024
Running back senior Kaito Inoue attempts tries to break a tackle during a September 2023 game against Sonora High School at Buena Park High School stadium. Because of the CIF-Southern Section releaguing that will start in the 2024-2025 season, the Lancers will no longer compete against the Raiders as the former will play in the Lambda division, while the latter will play in the Iota division.
CIF-Southern Section football teams to get their own leagues starting 2024-2025 season
Christine Yoo, Sports Editor • April 16, 2024
Current Events: Tuesday, April 16
Current Events: Tuesday, April 16
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris LeeApril 16, 2024

I’m glad our leaders are becoming more diverse

Erin Lee
Female politicians like Michelle Steel (left), Kamala Harris (center) and Young Kim have all made strives toward becoming gender parity in the U.S. political system.

Kamala Harris makes history.

In the weeks following Joe Biden’s victory over Donald Trump for The White House, you’ve likely seen some form of this headline.

Biden’s pick is a historic one — Harris is slated to be America’s first female, Black and South Asian vice president.

Though I may not agree with all of her policies, it’s great that our nation finally has a female vice president. I’ve already heard stories about how she has inspired my generation, but with all the attention on her, it’s easy to miss the bigger picture.

In this same election season, two Korean American women from our community — Young Kim and Michelle Steel — have joined the U.S. Congress.

Rather than focusing on Harris’ individual accomplishments, I’m going to try viewing the bigger picture: the start of a long-awaited movement.

Kim and Steel have joined the 3.8% of Asian Americans in Congress.

Data from RepresentWomen, a non-profit organization trying to achieve gender parity in political offices, shows that women make up 51% of the U.S. population, yet they hold only 24% of the Senate and 27% of the House of Representatives.

And obviously, 0% of U.S. presidents.

But now we’re witnessing the start of a shift in the political landscape. The leaders whom we’ve elected to represent us are actually beginning to look like us.

This is just the start of something new. Who knows? Maybe in four years, we’ll see a woman running the show in the Oval Office. I’m excited about that prospect.

This story originally appeared in the Dec. 14 print issue as the preface to the “Wonder Women” special section, which can be read here.