Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Current Event: Wednesday, March 13
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris Lee March 14, 2024
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Current Event: Tuesday, March 12
Sophomore Sophia Gentile (left) and junior Maya Kew-Layton practice sprinting uphill on Lancer Way toward the parking lot by the Performing Arts Center during sixth period on Monday, March 4.
GIRLS TRACK AND FIELD PREVIEW: Lady Lancers hope to win championship for their last season in the Freeway League
Seowon Han, Spotlight Editor & Business Manager • March 13, 2024
Junior Evan Sereg (left) listens to senior Nicolas Galven play his guitar during lunch in the quad on Thursday, March 7.
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah Lee March 13, 2024

No on Prop. 18: 17-year-olds lack essential voting experience

2020 — the year with perhaps the most important presidential election ever.

But that will not be the only important measure on the ballot — California Proposition 18 [Prop 18] awaits voters.

Prop 18 states that 17-year-olds are allowed to vote in primary and special elections but not general presidential elections if they turn 18 by the date of the general election. Prop 18, however, is ineffective and will only benefit a small margin of teenagers  who are motivated to vote at an early age.

For teenagers in California, turning 18 is a landmark, not just because they are officially adults in the eyes of the law, but because they can drive without license provisions, including a hold on driving other minors.

These provisions are put in place not to spite teenagers but because minors lack the appropriate judgement skills to drive others — so why should they be given the ability to decide the future of our country?

Furthermore, Prop 18 would allow teenagers to vote on other ballot measures but most teenagers have little to no experience with that material and as an upcoming 17-year-old who has yet to pay taxes, I believe that I should abstain from inputting my opinion in subjects I lack knowledge in, something all other inexperienced teenagers should do as well.

So until they can  blow out 18 candles on their birthday cake, 17-year-olds can and should wait just one more year.

This story originally appeared in the Oct. 30 print issue, which can be read here.