Grammy-nominated rapper introduces his new Astroworld: McDonald’s Travis Scott Meal

The+%246+Travis+Scott+Meal%2C+named+after+the+Grammy-nominated+rapper%2C+consists+of+a+Quarter+Pounder+with+bacon%2C+medium+fries+with+BBQ+sauce+and+a+drink+of+any+choice.+Itll+be+available+at+any+McDonald%E2%80%99s+restaurant+until+Oct.+4.+
Andrew Park
The $6 Travis Scott Meal, named after the Grammy-nominated rapper, consists of a Quarter Pounder with bacon, medium fries with BBQ sauce and a drink of any choice. It’ll be available at any McDonald’s restaurant until Oct. 4.

A new trend has popped up among TikTok users earlier this month involving those grabbing a bite at the Golden Arches.

A line of eager customers in their cars pull up at the drive-thru at a McDonald’s restaurant, waiting for the classic question from the speaker: “What can I get you?” 

Instead of responding with the expected names of menu items, these customers chime in with, “You know why I’m here,” followed by “Sicko Mode,” a song by Grammy-nominated rapper Travis Scott, blasting from car speakers.

For those who have yet to catch up on these TikTok videos (as of Sept. 23 “#travisscottchallenge” has 3.3 million views), this is a code to order McDonald’s latest creation: the $6 Travis Scott Meal.

According to a McDonald’s Sept. 15 statement, supervisors have been training their employees on this new Tiktok-originated method for people to order the Travis Scott Meal, also known as the Cactus Jack Meal.

McDonald’s and Scott originally announced in a Sept. 3 tweet their collaboration: a Quarter Pounder with Bacon, medium fries with BBQ sauce and a drink of any choice. The limited edition item then officially launched Sept. 8 in every fast-food McDonald’s franchise across the country and will be available until Oct. 4, according to a Sept. 8 McDonald’s statement.

The Quarter Pounder, also known as the Travis Scott burger, contains stacks of the rapper’s go-to-toppings of bacon and lettuce as well as chopped onions, two pickle slices, two layers of melted cheese and a combination of mustard and ketchup.

Sunny Hills students who are Tiktok users are very familiar with how to order this meal.

“The meal was surprisingly really tasty,” junior Sophia Winters said. “I thought the TikTok challenges were pretty fun, but I honestly feel bad for the [McDonald’s] workers who have to deal with that multiple times a day.”

Besides social media, the Cactus Jack Meal is gaining steam from a McDonald’s TV commercial released Sept. 3 of the rapper explaining what items come with it. 

“I saw the ad for [the Travis Scott meal] and decided to try it out because I’m a fan of his,” sophomore Chris Salzameda said. “The burger wasn’t anything special, but I enjoyed buying the meal.”

In only eight days of its release, the fast-food restaurant chain has collected reports from various restaurants of ingredient shortages from a high amount of orders, according to a Sept. 15 McDonald’s memo.

As a huge fan of the rapper, junior Colin Lee said he couldn’t resist but buy the meal only a few days after its debut.

“The day the meal came out, everyone was posting on their Instagrams about it,” Lee said. “The meal is definitely overhyped in terms of taste, but I understand why it’s so hyped because it is Travis Scott after all.”

To take a step beyond just a menu, this celebrity collaboration — the first for McD’s since 1992 when the fast-food chain hooked up with former NBA star Michael Jordan — also includes $28-$48 custom merchandise such as T-shirts with graphic designs of the Travis Scott Meal and a $90 nugget body pillow.