May 28: COVID-19 halted my running streak of time spent with Dad

Art illustrated by graphics editor Erin Lee. 

LIVING UNDER THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS

This is part of a series of columns from The Accolade staff about their various experiences during the school closure because of the coronavirus pandemic. If you would like to submit some of your experiences, please email us at [email protected].

“Son, it’s 5 a.m., are you coming?”

“Of course, I’ll be down in five minutes.”

Before the global COVID-19 pandemic, I happily went on morning runs with my dad every day. Because of time and work, these jogging excursions were one of the few activities my dad and I did to bond and spend time together. Since January we would jog around the neighborhood for an hour.

However, because of the new regulations of staying home in order to prevent the spread of the virus in April, my mom thought it was best for my dad and I to not go on morning runs anymore and stay home instead. So, the only real time I get to spend with my dad now is on Sundays when we listen to the online church service together.

Although during quarantine we have more opportunities to spend more time together at home, my dad still has work outside. I am almost a senior in high school, and the time I get to spend with my family before college is running out.

However, on Mother’s Day, my sisters and I had a special chance to walk to Albertsons with my dad to buy flowers and a cake. Since we tried to limit the amount of times we went outside, I treasured this moment.

I remembered when I went out on runs with my dad, we would have casual talks, sometimes about my future plans for college.

Since I don’t want to go off to college without making new memories with my dad, I spent more time with him by asking if he wanted to watch a movie. Recently, my dad and I watched an Indiana Jones movie, “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” and had a good time.

Because I am the only son in the family, having those father-son times is more valuable to me.

As Father’s Day is now around the corner, I plan to write my dad a letter saying how I cherished those moments of hanging out with him and gift him with some golf-related items, which I know he’ll enjoy.