Current Events: Friday, April 19
Current Events: Friday, April 19
Junior Ethan Tam (left) and world language Chinese teacher Soon-Ya Gordon hold Gordon’s national Educator of Distinction award on Tuesday, Feb. 20, during lunch in her classroom, Room 36. The award is named after Claes Nobel, a grand nephew of Alfred Bernard Nobel — founder of the Nobel Peace Prize — and co-founder of the National Society of High School Scholars.
Veteran world language teacher earns national recognition with a different type of Nobel prize
Kevin Lee, Staff Reporter • April 19, 2024
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17

20 Questions for Top of the 2020 Class: Jenny Lee’s encouragement from her mother helped her rise to the top of her class

Senior+Jenny+Lee+smiles+for+a+picture+in+her+neighborhood+after+filming+a+video+for+Sunny+Hills+High+Schools+virtual+graduation.+Image+posted+with+permission+from+Jenny+Lee.+
Senior Jenny Lee smiles for a picture in her neighborhood after filming a video for Sunny Hills High School’s virtual graduation. Image posted with permission from Jenny Lee.

In lieu of our senior print issue, The Accolade has decided to conduct a Q and A with each of the 12 valedictorians for online posting.

Question #1: What are your plans after high school? (which school, which major; if not going to college, why not?)

Answer: I am planning on attending Williams College as a biology major on the pre-med track.

Question #2: Which extracurriculars and clubs have you been a part of? 

A: I was a part of a variety of clubs and extracurriculars, including Key Club, American Red Cross, California Scholarship Federation, National Honor Society, Operation Smile and Conservatory of Fine Arts.

Question #3: How do you feel as one of the 12 valedictorians?

A: I felt honored to be announced as one of the 12 valedictorians. It felt as if the sleepless nights, tears, stress and hard work from the past four years had paid off.

Question #4: How do you feel about the second semester of our senior year and graduation being canceled?

A: Surprisingly, I did not feel that upset about having a virtual second semester for senior year and graduation being canceled. Of course, it is upsetting that I will not be able to experience the senior traditions from the past years. However, there is a reason behind the cancellation and we have our own unique experiences.

Question #5: What or who motivated you the most during high school and why?

A: The biggest motivation was my mother. Even though she never pressured me about school-related activities, I [felt that it was a personal responsibility] to do well in school. It also had to do with the fact that I knew the sacrifices she had made as a parent for me.

Question #6: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: If everything goes as planned, I hope to be in a residency program for pediatrics after medical school.

Question #7: What was the most challenging in the four years of high school?

A: Time management was one of the most challenging aspects of high school since I needed to balance the difficult work of my classes with my various extracurricular activities, especially when some involved a two-hour travel time.

Question #8: Which class was the most threatening to your valedictorian status?

A: There were actually two classes that were extremely threatening to my valedictorian status last semester. They were AP [Advanced Placement] Chemistry and AP Physics 1.

Question #9: What has been the highlight of high school?

A: An interesting highlight of high school that is unique for the Class of 2020 is experiencing a virtual graduation.

Question #10: Describe your high school experience in three words

A: A Rollercoaster Ride.

Question #11: Complete the sentence: “I will always remember…”

A: I will always remember the bells that signaled the end of class and the people that have supported and stayed by my side all four years of high school.

Question #12: What was your favorite class?

A: It’s hard to pick one from the many I have taken, but my favorite class was AP Biology with Mr. Kim.

Question #13: What will you miss most after you graduate?

A: I’m going to definitely miss seeing my friends every day at school, especially since I am the only one who will be flying out to the East Coast.

Question #14: Did you have senioritis?

A: I really thought that I would never get senioritis, but I think it’s inevitable to get senioritis.

Question #15: What is your greatest achievement during high school?

A: My greatest achievement during high school was definitely receiving my college acceptances. Despite the various achievements that I had during high school, I don’t think anything can match the happiness of receiving college acceptances.

Question #16: How have you changed since freshman year?

A: I’ve gone through drastic changes since freshman year, whether it be my personality or choice of fashion. Despite my introverted personality, I have learned to come out of my shell and put myself out there.

Question #17: Out of all your years in high school, which one was your favorite and why?

A: I loved sophomore year from the bottom of my heart. There was something unique about sophomore year, and it probably had to do with the fact that I was able to get the most sleep during sophomore year.

Question #18: A senior quote 

A: My four years of high school were nothing like High School Musical, but it was just as memorable and magical.

Question #19: A word of advice for underclassmen

A: To all the underclassmen, cherish every moment. It’s important to study, but make sure you go out and have fun! Don’t regret things when it’s too late! Enjoy life:)

Question #20: Would you like to thank anyone? Final words?

A: I definitely want to thank my parents and friends for their continuous support throughout my ups and downs. Also a shoutout to Mr. Kim for writing a gazillion letters of recommendation for me.