Old-style methods just lower my GPA

Faith Jung
Section editors of the 2022-2023 school year work on newspaper layouts in The Accolade room after school. This was a recurring daily routine during the week that print issues were released.

This story was originally published in our March 3 print issue last year. Because of our oversight, the full version never got posted online, which is why we’re doing so now.

When I applied to The Accolade last school year, I knew the hard work and dedication that I was getting myself into: social media posts, arduous stories, countless revisions and stepping out of my comfort zone to interview sources.

With the growing competitiveness of college admissions, I often worry whether or not the classes I take or haven’t taken will lower my GPA, endangering my chances of acceptance. 

Despite the rigor, blood, sweat and tears, similar to Advanced Placement or honors courses, that The Accolade requires, the non-honors designation puts me and my peers at a disadvantage.

Currently, the Journalism Curriculum Committee, composed of journalism advisers from various schools within our district, is working to submit an application to the district so we can turn our Advanced Journalism into an honors class. It is a long and tedious process because the administrators must go through several steps on paper.

The Fullerton Joint Union High School District [FJUHSD] should consider digitalizing this process to speed it up and avoid wasting time.

We live in the 21st century, a time where almost everything is online, so why can’t we do this?

The extensive process tends to be the first complaint that comes to mind while on the subject matter of honors designation, and similarly, The Accolade staff has been awaiting this opportunity. However, many fail to realize that the situation has layers of complexity.

In order for Advanced Journalism to earn honors designation, our adviser must hold a meeting with some of the district board members, complete basic course information, submit a course outline and approval form, get permission from the FJUHSD Administrative Council to move forward with the proposal and receive the final board approval. Because each step consumes so much time, the administration should digitally expedite the process instead.

Our adviser also needs to physically acquire signatures from each school in the district, but this could be done much faster if the schools could simply submit a Google Form agreeing to the proposal.

Advanced Journalism requires the use of competent writing abilities, time management skills and up-to-date knowledge of current events, all of which are related to skills cultivated in honors classrooms.

Some talented writers may not have signed up for this class because it would bring down their GPAs, but making this an honors class will eliminate this concern and potentially allow for more qualified students to join The Accolade. If more capable students join The Accolade, we will be able to produce higher-quality stories and content, enhancing the program.

But before we think about recruiting more talented and hardworking students, we need to quickly change Advanced Journalism to honors so that it will encourage more people to join.

I hope the district will consider speeding up the process by turning it into something that they can do with just one click of a button.

As of last month, the school board has approved adding honors designation to Advanced Journalism at SH.