Staff Editorial: More should be done on campus this month to commemorate Memorial Day

Jacob Kim

The Accolade Editorial Board unanimously agrees that administrators should do more to commemorate Sunny Hills alumni who have served and fallen in the line of duty.

As students enter English teacher Scott Rosenkranz’s classroom, if they look carefully at the whiteboard near the flag, they will notice something completely unrelated to his academic subjects.

Displayed below the U.S. flag and taped onto the whiteboard are two papers showcasing names of four “fallen Lancers” — alumni who died while serving in the military.

Social science teachers Jeff Gordon and Keith Nighswonger exhibit similar memorials in their rooms. It’s unfortunate that not more of our faculty have followed suit.

With Memorial Day less than two weeks away, our community should come up with more creative ways to get students’ attention about how much we should value the military.

Every Sept. 11, the Associated Student Body [ASB] organizes a memorial service to remember the lives lost from the 2001 twin tower tragedy and the Pentagon hijacking.

Why can’t we do the same the Friday before Memorial Day weekend?

With morning announcements, we can dedicate a few minutes in second period once a week for a moment of silence to remember the Lancers who lost their lives while in the line of military duty. They should not be forgotten.

Many students go through days without remembering our fallen heroes. Though overly conspicuous means are not necessary, efforts like hanging up the names of former alumni veterans should be done in as many classrooms as possible.

Whether it be as simple as morning announcements or as elaborate as quad memorials, we should begin a tradition of honoring SH alumni veterans school-wide to commemorate their sacrifices. 

Because this is The Accolade’s spring cub issue featuring articles from the Journalism 1 class, those on the editorial board decided to give this issue’s mini-editors a chance to take their place with the guidance of adviser Tommy Li. If you have a question about the board’s decision or an issue for the board to discuss and write about, please send an email to [email protected].