CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Thomas Pennella

Asaph Li
Graduating as one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians, senior Thomas Pennella committed to the University of California, Irvine, where he will be majoring in chemical engineering.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?

Answer: University of California, Irvine.
Question 2: What will you major in?

A: Chemical engineering.
Question 3: What’s your favorite movie or TV show and why?

A: I think my favorite movie is “Babylon” because the plot line being all over the place was very entertaining, and it was funny and emotional and had a great soundtrack.
Question 4: What extracurricular activities or hobbies did you enjoy in high school, and how did they complement your academic success?

A: I was in Boy Scouts, and I became an Eagle Scout. So I’d say that helped with kind of getting out there and taking charge of getting stuff done and stuff like that. I also played piano.
Question 5: What subject did others find hard, but in your opinion, was the easiest for you?

A: Probably math; I find math easy.
Question 6: How did your surrounding friends/family support you throughout your high school years?

A: My friends made going to school enjoyable, so it was not stressful dealing with work and stuff because I was actually enjoying it.
Question 7: Who is one teacher you are thankful for/ look up to and why?

A: Mr. [Andrew] Colomac. I liked the way he taught [Advanced Placement Chemistry] and was always open to explaining the complex ideas of the subject, and he seemed like he really, fully understood it and I ended up going for chemical engineering. I had him last year, junior year.
Question 8: What is one study habit you recommend to underclassmen?

A: Learn shortcuts on how to memorize things and remember stuff. Try to put everything together to understand it through a shortcut, not just learning it exactly from problems and stuff like that.
Question 9: What is one piece of advice you would give your freshman self?

A: Probably to stop over-studying earlier. I think that in my junior and senior years, I realized that I didn’t really need to put in as much work. So, I started doing a lot of other stuff at the same time, and I think, like freshman and sophomore year, I didn’t realize that.
Question 10: If you had to go back to any moment of your life, when would it be?

A: This is probably my favorite right now.
Question 11: What career do you eventually want to have in the future?

A: Chemical engineer. Maybe going into research, maybe just working.