CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Dylan Loh

Asaph Li
Senior Dylan Loh plans on majoring in business and finance at UCLA upon graduating as one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?
Answer: 
UCLA.

Question 2: What will you major in?
A:
 Business and finance.

Question 3: What’s your favorite movie or TV show and why?
A: “Breaking Bad” because I think it was just really well crafted and it always kept me on my toes.

Question 4: Are there any quotes you live by that guided you through your academic journey?
A: “You don’t know me son” by David Goggins. There’s always an expectation to live up to and I think that a lot of my life is trying to kind of prove myself, so I think that kind of inspires me.

Question 5: What subject did others find hard, but in your opinion was the easiest for you?
A: I took macroeconomics for first semester and then people are saying it’s really hard, especially when they take it in second semester. Even first semester people were complaining about it, but for me, it was pretty easy.

Question 6: What extracurricular activity did you struggle to balance with your grades?
A: I think water polo because it took so much time that when I got home, I was really tired.

Question 7: What did you sacrifice to maintain your grades?
A: I didn’t sacrifice that much, but if anything, it was probably time with the ones I love because sometimes my friends and family went out, and I would have to stay home to study or do work.

Question 8: How did your surrounding friends/family support you throughout your high school years?
A: My family is always really supporting, and they’re always on top of me and my brother for our grades. And it was really good also because my friends are all really driven. So seeing them do stuff inspired me to do good stuff too.

Question 9: Who is one teacher you are thankful for/ look up to and why?
A: Mrs. Kelly Kim because I feel like she takes her time to know each and every one of her students. She always made time out of her day to give us updates about her life and asked about us, so she was more like a friend than a teacher.

Question 10: What is one study habit you recommend to underclassmen?
A: Probably just get your assignment done as soon as you get it, especially if it’s not due for a long time. Just don’t procrastinate.

Question 11: What is one advice you would tell your freshman self?
A: Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.

Question 12: How did you discover what you wanted to major in college?
A: My parents are both in the business world, so we were always brought up knowing that we would go into business in the future.

Question 13: What career do you eventually want to have in the future?
A: I want to go into management consulting.