CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Yeavit Kim

Asaph Li
Senior Yeavit Kim stands as one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians. Kim plans on attending the University of Pennsylvania as a nursing major.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?
Answer: University of Pennsylvania [UPenn].

Question 2: What will you major in?
A: Nursing.

Question 3: What was your favorite class and memory?
A: I would say orchestra because I took it for all four years and I’ve actually met one of my closest friends there. And since we did a lot outside of class, we performed at Parks [Junior High School] and at the PAC [Performing Arts Center] too. So I do think that it was really fun. I think I really made a lot of good friends.

Question 4: Who was a mentor who helped you throughout your academic journey?
A: I will say Mr. [Tom] Wiegman, he was my English teacher. He is still my English teacher; I had him in both my junior and senior years. I was in his AP [Advanced Placement] Lang [Language and Composition] class, and now I am in his AP Lit [English Literature and Composition] class. And personally, my weakness is English. And he just helped me a lot with the essays and through the college application process.

Question 5: What is a study habit that you would recommend to someone else?
A: My study habits are really bad. I’m a huge procrastinator, and I do the work last minute. I usually sleep when I feel sleepy and wake up and do the homework in the morning because when I get sleepy I can’t focus on the work. So I usually sleep early and wake up early to study or do homework.

Question 6: What were some of your extracurriculars and leadership roles?
A: I founded the CARE Club, where we go volunteering at nursing homes. I also volunteered at St. Jude aand founded an [online] organization about cancer.

Question 7: What is something you look forward to the most after graduating?
A: I will say college is definitely the most exciting one. And during the summer, I’m just planning to work so that I can earn money for college.

Question 8: What advice about school would you give your freshman self if you were to start high school again?
A: I would say, don’t stress too much. Because I usually overthink it. If you think a lot and stress about it too much, it won’t help. It’s just not good for your studying to stress too much.

Question 9: Did you aim for the title of valedictorian at the beginning of high school?
A: I thought it was impossible in the beginning, because I struggled a lot, like I was on the verge of getting two B’s. I just tried my best each year, and it just it came.

Question 10: What class threatened your valedictorian status the most?
A: AP U.S. History and AP Lang.

Question 11: What is the No. 1 piece of advice you would give to other students who also plan to become valedictorians?
A: Study hard. I would say try your best, but if it doesn’t happen, don’t stress about it.

Question 12: What would you say was the most rewarding aspect of being valedictorian?
A: I guess you can get recognized as a result of your hard work, and the most important one is that I can make my mom proud of me for trying hard.

Question 13: What was the most important factor when deciding what college to attend?
A: Personally, I had a passion for nursing since junior high. And I was researching it very early in my freshman year, and I found out UPenn had a nursing program. It’s one of the prestigious ones too. The nursing program I really wanted to go to — pediatric oncology — is only at UPenn out of all of America, so I really wanted to go. It was my dream school, and I’m happy I got in.

Question 14: How did you feel when you found out you got accepted to UPenn?
A: I felt very blessed because I was praying for it a lot too. Just happy that I was finally done.

Question 15: What are your career aspirations and/or activities you want to be involved in at college?
A: I’m planning to do a master’s in nursing as well to become a nurse practitioner. I haven’t really found a specific specialty yet, but I hopefully I can find it when I go through college classes.