CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Ashley Kim

Asaph Li
Graduating as the top of Class of 2024, senior Ashley Kim committed to UCLA, where she will be majoring in chemistry.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?
Answer: UCLA.
Question 2: What will you major in?
A: Chemistry.
Question 3: What was your favorite class and memory?
A: My favorite class was AP [Advanced Placement] Chemistry with Mr. [Andrew] Colomac, and my favorite memory was just the labs I did with my classmates because we always struggled together.

Question 4: Who was a mentor who helped you throughout your academic journey?
A: There were multiple, but I think I would say Mr. Colomac, who helped me in my chemistry class and also helped me find my interest in chemistry, as well as just my parents who always helped me and supported me and my studies and always encouraged me whenever I was stressed.

Question 5: What is a study habit that you would recommend to someone else?
A: I think finishing homework right after school, instead of going home and resting right away. I think because of that I was able to finish my work faster and earlier and get into the habit of not procrastinating.

Question 6: What were some of your extracurriculars and leadership roles?
A: I was part of ASB [Associated Student Body], and I was the activities commissioner in charge of a lot of different stuff, like organizing clubs and making spirit days. I was also part of the tennis team for four years. I was in varsity for two years, and I was also in many different clubs like Hallelujah Club, STEMUp4Youth, UNICEF, Science Olympiad and more.

Question 7: What is something you look forward to the most after graduating?
A: I’m excited to live in my dorm, decorate it and also meet new people at UCLA.

Question 8: What were some notable setbacks you encountered during your high school career, and how did you overcome them?
A: I would say, my AP classes and my extracurriculars because I was always busy at the beginning of the school year — it’s always tennis season for me, and I’m also part of ASB.

Question 9: What is your biggest regret in high school?
A: My biggest regret is that I think it’s really defining me with letter grades. I was always so dependent on grades, and making that determined my emotional and mental state. Putting so much reliance on that puts a lot of pressure and stress upon life, so I think making my grades define who I am was my biggest regret.

Question 10: What advice about school would you give your freshman self if you were to start high school again?
A: I think it’s just to be open to making new relationships and meet new people. Do not be afraid to talk to people.

Question 11: Did you aim for the title of valedictorian at the beginning of high school?
A: Not at the beginning, but I’ve always thought it would be nice to have that title. And since I have two older sisters, I always thought thatI should try for it, but it was not my sole focus to get that title.

Question 12: What is the No. 1 piece of advice you would give to other students who also plan to become valedictorians?
A: I think it’s, honestly, just to try your best. Don’t stress out too much because even if you don’t get that title, it doesn’t mean a whole bunch. A title is not going to determine your future.

Question 13: What class threatened your valedictorian status the most?
A: I would say APUSH [U.S. History] because I was not good with history, and I struggled in that class a lot.

Question 14: What would you say was the most rewarding aspect of being valedictorian?
A: I think the most rewarding part is being able to get this validation, being recognized for my grades and for my efforts in high school and seeing that it’s not going to waste the stress and all the things I went through in high school.

Question 15: What was the most important factor when deciding what college to attend?
A: It was always one of my top choices to go to UCLA, and after researching a little bit, I also found some programs at UCLA that will fit the pathway I want to take.