CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Evan Hsu

Asaph Li
Senior Evan Hsu stands as one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians. Hsu plans on attending UCLA as a business and economics major.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?
Answer: UCLA.

Question 2: What will you major in?
A: Business and economics.

Question 3: What does it mean to you that you are named valedictorian?
A: It means that over my high school career, I accomplished a lot of stuff academically, and it was a pretty big accomplishment for me. My hard work paid off. It’s been a nice thing to have on my resume.

Question 4: What advice do you have for underclassmen about maintaining their grades?
A: Be on top of school work, and you don’t need to study five hours for a test; just study until you understand most of the concepts. Have time for yourself, your friends and your family. Have time for others and also academics.

Question 5: What was the hardest class you took in high school and why?
A: AP Lit [Advanced Placement English Literature and Composition] it’s a pretty hard class because the essays are weighted so much.

Question 6: What was your favorite class in high school and why?
A: AP Statistics because it’s very open-ended and self-paced. The teacher is really nice. Mrs. [Kari] Morita teaches well and is nice.

Question 7: What will you miss the most about Sunny Hills?
A: Sense of community that I’ve gained over the years and hanging out with different people. Something you might not find in college because the community is so tightened.

Question 8: What are you most excited about for your new journey in college?
A: Learning new things and discovering passions and interests. Branching out and meeting new people. Explore everything that college has to offer.

Question 9: Who was your biggest supporter throughout high school, and why?
A: My parents because they helped me push myself to be the best that I can be. They would say its okay and it’s not the end of the world when I failed a test.

Question 10: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: I’ll probably stay in Southern California and get a job in the financial field and plan to stay in Orange or L.A. County.

Question 11: Who is your favorite teacher and why?
A: My favorite teacher is Mrs. Morita because she’s easygoing and fun and pushes students to do their best in an engaging manner, so I always look forward to her classes.

Question 12: What is your proudest accomplishment in high school?
A: Valedictorian and what I accomplished on my water polo team; we made it pretty far in CIF.

Question 13: What do you look forward to the most this summer?
A: I’m going on a trip to Hawaii with my family and a senior trip with my friends, which would be pretty fun to hang out with people I like.

Question 14: What are you looking forward to the most about college?
A: I’m looking forward to getting new experiences. We kind of live in a bubble, so I’m excited to get out of my comfort zone and explore new things. College is all about new experiences.