PROM KING SPOTLIGHT: Senior represents his club with title as second consecutive Bayanihan nominee

Image used with permission from Nathan Leopoldo
Seniors Nathan Leopoldo (left) and Seannea Arceo walk across the dance floor after winning prom king and queen, respectively, at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach on Saturday, April 6.

Walking the bridge above the dance floor at the Aquarium of the Pacific on Saturday, April 6, on prom day, senior Nathan Leopoldo said he was excited to see all the prom king candidates.

Leopoldo initially applied for fun and the chance to live the full high school experience, he said.

Although the senior felt good about being nominated for the prom king, he said he was fine with the possibility of not winning.

“If I won — which I did — but if I won, I thought, ‘OK, that’d be cool,’” Leopoldo said. “If I didn’t, ‘Oh, well,’ because it’s just a title.” 

Despite this, following his nomination as prom king for the 2023-2024 school year, the senior said he was thrilled.

“It’s cool because there’s only one person or only one guy in the senior class that can be prom king,” he said. “So it’s really cool to think that I excelled above everyone else, and I’m the only one that has this title.”

In addition to the prospect of fun, Leopoldo said he was happy to represent the Bayanihan Club.

“Last year, my friend Gabriel [Villanueva], he was a part of Bayanihan [Club], and he ran for prom king,” he said. “I think it was cool to follow in that and represent Bayanihan [Club] at the same time.”

Leopoldo’s Bayanihan Club adviser, Cameron Tong, shared his sentiments.

“When I heard Nate was prom king, I was just so excited,” Tong said. “The prom queen was also part of Bayanihan [Club] this year — I’m really beyond proud.”

Leopoldo has consistently shown leadership and kindness during his time at Bayanihan Club, from building camaraderie throughout the year to encouraging team members before and after performances, the adviser said.

“Above everything, Nate is just a good kid with a kind heart,” he said.

Leopoldo said he remembers walking to the quad with his friends when the Associated Student Body announced the prom court nominations on Thursday, March 28.

One of them, senior Denise Bravo, said she attended the prom court nomination with pride.

“I was super proud and happy to know that Nathan was a nominee,” Bravo said. “He’s one of my closest friends, and I couldn’t imagine anyone else that would be deserving of such a title.”

Leopoldo said being nominated as prom king made his experience at high school more special.

“I think it made my high school experience very unique because there’s only one person that can get prom king,” he said.

Through his experience of being prom king, Leopoldo said he gained life lessons through the support of his peers.  

“I learned that as long as you set out to do something, it’s achievable, and [with] the support of my peers as well,” the prom king said. 

Knowing it would be a highlight of his last year of high school, Bravo said she encouraged Leopoldo to have a unique experience.

“I [encouraged] him to run for prom king because I knew it would be a fun and great experience for him to have in high school,” she said.

Leopoldo said he enjoyed his final year at Sunny Hills as a part of the Bayanihan Club in addition to other extracurricular activities like the vocal ensemble. To continue his education, the senior said he is committed to the University of California, Riverside, where he will major in biology.

“My time at Sunny Hills has been so fun,” he said. “I learned how to embrace the opportunities that come my way.”