CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Radiyah Ahmed

Graduating+at+the+top+of+her+class%2C+senior+Radiyah+Ahmed+commits+to+University+of+California%2C+San+Diego%2C+to+major+in+international+business.+
Asaph Li
Graduating at the top of her class, senior Radiyah Ahmed commits to University of California, San Diego, to major in international business.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is the first full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Be sure to check out the magazine version that’s releasing tomorrow, May 22, and any remaining full-version Q&A posted alphabetically in the Feature section, which will be posted throughout the week.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?
Answer: UC San Diego [University of California, San Diego].
Question 2:  What will you major in?
A: International business.
Question 3: Which teacher helped you the most throughout your high school career?
A: Mrs. [Jennifer] Kim. She was really beneficial when I first came to high school. I was a bit scared, but her ability to make me feel comfortable in high school was great, and she really helped me with the college application process.
Question 4: What does it mean to you that you are named valedictorian?
A: It wasn’t something that I really pictured getting my freshman year and sophomore year. I really realized that it was something achievable with my grades. It means a lot — it’s a big accomplishment. I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it, but in the end I’m really happy about that.
Question 5: What advice do you have for underclassmen about maintaining their grades?
A: It can be difficult to balance different extracurriculars and your GPA, but I think having good time management and focusing on the classes that you’re struggling with the most over those that you know you can handle is a big thing that’ll help.
Question 6: What was the hardest class you took in high school and why?
A: AP [Advanced Placement] Lang [English Language and Composition]. I’m not the best at English. This is one of the subjects that I struggle with the most, but I think I focused on that one a lot trying to get my essays good and my test scores high.
Question 7: What was your favorite class in high school and why?
A: AP Psychology; I loved the environment, and it was interesting to learn about the subject and the mind.
Question 8: What will you miss the most about Sunny Hills?
A: It’s definitely a very helping environment that we’re in here. Everybody’s trying to help you, and it’s definitely scary going into college not knowing if I’m going to be placed in that similar environment.
Question 9: What are you most excited about for your new journey in college?
A: There’s so many new people that I’m gonna meet from so many different places, and they all have their own experiences. I love hearing different stories from different people.
Question 10: Who was your biggest supporter throughout high school and why?
A: My mom; she helped me maintain my grades and focus on important things going into my future career.
Question 11: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: I hope to either work with a nonprofit organization or start my own business that works with foreign policy and developing countries that works to provide resources to underprivileged communities.
Question 12: Who is your favorite teacher and why?
A: Mrs. [Jennifer] Kim; she’s so helpful and kind, and she was one of the people that really just makes you feel comfortable.
Question 13: What is your proudest accomplishment in high school?
A: Getting accepted to Girls State. This is a program for one junior girl to represent their high school in Sacramento, and I was going against other people who were very well qualified. There, I was able to win a state position and become an outstanding citizen of my city.
Question 14: What do you look forward to the most this summer?
A: Teaching at summer camp, being a Mosaics teacher and spending the last day with friends.
Question 15: What are you looking forward to the most about college?
A: I’m excited for meeting new people, hearing different stories and rooming with another person. I’m texting people now trying to figure out who’s gonna be my roommate. But, I’d definitely say living that college experience and getting involved on campus.