Dance Production member senior Jackie Coen performs a routine to “Overprotected” by Britney Spears during the annual spring dance concert on Thursday, April 18, at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center [PAC]. The spring dance concert was held after school for three days from April 18-20.
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Asaph Li, and Noah Lee April 25, 2024
Current Events: Wednesday, April 24
Current Events: Wednesday, April 24
Helios adviser Lindsay Safe presents the National Scholastic Press Association Pacemaker award to her fourth-period yearbook class on Friday, April 12, in Room 62. The award is for the 2022-2023 yearbook titled, “Honestly Who Says We Can’t?” making this the publication’s third such Pacemaker plaque.
Helios wins third Pacemaker award; The Accolade also earns national recognition
Dareen Hagekhalil, Staff Reporter • April 24, 2024
Current Events: Tuesday, April 23
Current Events: Tuesday, April 23

Second-period fundraiser for Pathways of Hope collects more than $1,600

Math+teacher+Kari+Morita+collects+senior+Sharon+Choi%E2%80%99s+spare+change+for+the+Minute+of+Hope+fundraiser+held+by+the+Associated+Student+Body+on+Wednesday.+
Audrey Seo
Math teacher Kari Morita collects senior Sharon Choi’s spare change for the Minute of Hope fundraiser held by the Associated Student Body on Wednesday.

This article originally appeared in the Nov. 19, 2021, print issue of The Accolade. But in that version, it abruptly ended. This is the full story.

Minute of Hope, a second-period fundraiser hosted last semester to help the needy during the holiday season, netted more than $1,600 in donations, exceeding the Associated Student Body [ASB] goal of $1,000.

“[We were] excited about it, and it shows how the school is really caring and giving as a community,” ASB co-adviser Mike Paris said. “Students try to do whatever they can, whenever they can [to help the community].”

The ASB transferred the collected funds on the same day as the Nov. 17 fundraiser to the Parent Teacher Student Association [PTSA], which then sent a representative to hand-deliver a check to Pathways of Hope, a Fullerton-based non-profit organization that provides necessities for needy families, Paris said.

The more than $1,600 collected will provide for the needs of homeless people and low-income families within the Fullerton Joint Union High School District, he said.

In the meantime, the ASB co-adviser said two weeks’ worth of non-perishable canned food or new toys have been collected from a donation box placed where the thermal cameras were located last semester – between the main office and the 20s wings – before and after school, break and lunch.

Staff and students had until Nov. 29 to fill up the box with items for the needy, he said. The PTSA also took these goods to Pathways of Hope.

Minute of Hope mirrored that of the Oct. 1 Miracle Minute breast cancer awareness fundraiser in which the ASB gave students in their Period 2 classes one minute to drop their cash donations into an envelope.

Although he estimated that the holiday drive would bring in a total of $1,000, Paris said he did not doubt the student body’s ability to exceed his expectations.

“It’s a nice increase, and I know Pathways of Hope appreciates it,” he said.

With a total of almost $80 raised, English teacher Jennifer Kim’s second period English 1 Honors class was announced as having collected the most amount of money among all other classes – Kim’s class also topped others during the Miracle Minute fundraiser.

“I felt we had done something good,” said freshman Zoey Matthews, one of the students in Kim’s second period class. “Just by donating spare change or money, we were able to help people in need.”