Current Events: Friday, April 19
Current Events: Friday, April 19
Junior Ethan Tam (left) and world language Chinese teacher Soon-Ya Gordon hold Gordon’s national Educator of Distinction award on Tuesday, Feb. 20, during lunch in her classroom, Room 36. The award is named after Claes Nobel, a grand nephew of Alfred Bernard Nobel — founder of the Nobel Peace Prize — and co-founder of the National Society of High School Scholars.
Veteran world language teacher earns national recognition with a different type of Nobel prize
Kevin Lee, Staff Reporter • April 19, 2024
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17

Holiday quad decorations to return Dec. 13

accolade file photo
ASB student decorates the Christmas tree in the quad as a part of the 2016 holiday decorations. The annual quad decorations will return this year on Dec. 13.

For the first time since 2019, the Associated Student Body [ASB] will resume its annual tradition of decorating the quad with such items as ornaments and an inflatable snowman Dec. 13 to kick off final exam week and to bring holiday cheer to the campus.

“We’re all really excited because this is our first quad decoration in two years, so we’re just really excited to have that Christmas tree back on campus,” senior class president Jasmine Lee said. “I think the students will be really excited, and I know when I was a freshman, I loved seeing the quad all decorated,”

The holiday tradition was canceled last year because of the coronavirus pandemic, which forced Sunny Hills to open for hybrid learning, and not many students chose to come back to school then.

That meant only upperclassmen like senior Natalija Glavy have experienced this festive environment before.

It makes me feel like I am in a school that is involved,” Glavy said. “When finals are near, the decorations make me feel like I’m not alone, and I feel supported. 

“It makes me feel like I’m in a school that cares and is talented.

Junior Joel Lopez also fondly remembers the costume an administrator wore in his freshman year.

“My favorite part of the holiday week and its decorations was the time when Mr. Morris dressed up as the Elf on the Shelf, and he was on the roof,” Lopez said.

This tradition began in 2017 when the ASB replaced its class decorating in which some students from each grade level would band together and choose a place on campus to decorate it; their work would be judged by a panel of teachers and staff. The competition ended because of low student participation.

Lee said next month, the ASB plans to display decorations such as fake snow, fake gifts, and a Christmas tree. ASB students will come to the quad Dec. 13 at 6:15 a.m. to start their work. 

As of Wednesday, ASB co-adviser Mike Paris said it is still undecided whether all students will be allowed to help decorate. But once that decision is made, and students can help out, they would get the word out via morning announcements and social media posts.

However, some students, such as senior Roy Datuin, said that they would appreciate the chance to decorate and be involved with the school’s holiday spirits.

“I would totally be willing to decorate the quad because it not only helps the school, but I would like to do something nice,” Datuin said. “The quad decorations are great and I am surprised that they have made it so festive.”

Meanwhile, Paris said he is just happy to see things returning to pre-COVID-19 conditions again.

“It’s really nice just to be able to do [holiday decorations] again,” Paris said. “I think just having people on campus again is good, [no matter what] we do, whether it’s assemblies, quad decorations, school dances, club meetings or even The Accolade coming out live.”