Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Current Events: Wednesday, April 17
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris LeeApril 17, 2024
Chloe Kang, Sue Kang, Noah Lee, and Asaph LiApril 16, 2024
Running back senior Kaito Inoue attempts tries to break a tackle during a September 2023 game against Sonora High School at Buena Park High School stadium. Because of the CIF-Southern Section releaguing that will start in the 2024-2025 season, the Lancers will no longer compete against the Raiders as the former will play in the Lambda division, while the latter will play in the Iota division.
CIF-Southern Section football teams to get their own leagues starting 2024-2025 season
Christine Yoo, Sports Editor • April 16, 2024
Current Events: Tuesday, April 16
Current Events: Tuesday, April 16
Pricilla Escobedo and Chris LeeApril 16, 2024

ASB earns $500 from ‘Got Talent’ fundraiser

Image used with permission from Leiana Volen and Jennifer Maletto.
Choreographed by Shana Ned, Dance Production filmed its video performance Feb. 23 in the parking lot behind Fullerton’s Amerige Heights Town Center. Titled “Forever Changed,” the video garnered the most votes for a group during the virtual March 12 Quadshow sponsored by the Conservatory of the Fine Arts.

A video performance from Sunny Hills High School’s Dance Production [DP] was named one of the winning entries in the April 23 “Got Talent” district fundraiser, organizers said.

DP’s video recording, “Forever Changed,” was given the Judges Choice award, which subsequently gives Sunny Hills’ Associated Student Body [ASB] $500.

“I’m excited that we won the talent show, and I honestly wasn’t sure what to expect because this is the first time we’ve done this,” DP co-captain junior Jessica Choi said.

The highest cash prize — $750 — will go to the ASBs from La Habra and Fullerton Union high schools.

La Habra’s Aurora Cisneros won the People’s Choice Award, while Fullerton Union’s senior Brittany Fisheli won the Judges Choice for professional recording.

The 7-8:30 p.m. YouTube live program was organized by Fullerton Joint Union High School District officials and the Rotary Club of Fullerton in hopes of raising money for cash-strapped ASBs districtwide.

Rotary Club district governor nominee Dan Ouweleen said those who wanted to watch the pre-recorded event had to pay $10. They made payment with a credit card through the Rotary Club’s website.

Each $10 entry came with the viewer’s ability to cast up to five votes to any of the performers.

No information was available as to how many tuned in to watch.

Meanwhile, ASB co-adviser Mike Paris said all of the prize money will go to DP.

“We believed they had a good chance of winning because we’ve all seen how good they are,” Paris said. “I’m sure we will participate in whatever [the Rotary Club of Fullerton] decides to do in the future.”

Dance director Leiana Volen said she will use the funds toward an educational experience — guest/master teacher and field trip — or equipment such as lighting, curtains and camera for the dance studio to continue adding to the program’s repertoire for filming and editing dance films.

Volen said she felt good to be recognized for the hard work and dedication she and her dancers put in for their video.

“From the choreography and musical accompaniment expressing the changes and adaptations we have been forced to make to the filming outside of a parking lot, the dance is an embodiment of resiliency, and showcasing that dance and art can be done any place, any time, through any challenge,” she said. “I think the dance is a snapshot of everything we’ve experienced and all the ways in which we’ve grown this year.”

This story originally appeared in the April 30 “Stop Asian Hate” PDF issue, which can be read here.