Current Events: Monday, April 15
Current Events: Monday, April 15
Current Events: Friday, April 12
Current Events: Friday, April 12
Episode 9: SH Alumni Talk — Korean Teacher and Basketball Coach Joe Ok
Julie Jung and Irene Park April 12, 2024

Final exams to be taken at home

Image used with permission from Dhruvkumar Patel 1563 under CC BY-SA 4.0.
For the first time in recent history, zero period has been included in the finals schedule and all students — regardless of Cohort — will be taking their finals from home.

Sunny Hills’ final exam schedule has been changed for the first time to mirror one that will be applied to all campuses in the Fullerton Joint Union High School District [FJUHSD], impacting those in zero and sixth periods the most.

Starting today, students will switch back from the hybrid learning schedule to a distance learning one, though the bell schedule will remain the same, according to a PDF file posted on the Sunny Hills website.

The bell schedule will change Tuesday with zero period (6:51- 8:51 a.m.), followed by first period (9:01-11:01 a.m.) and then ending with sixth period (11:11 a.m.-1:11 p.m.).

On Wednesday, second period class will start first, followed by third period. On Thursday, which will be the last day of finals, students will attend fourth and fifth periods.

The finals schedule was originally made available to administrators on Nov. 18, assistant principal Melissa Stinson said.

“The final exam schedule was discussed among all of the principals and the District office leadership team,” Stinson said. “With a total of 2,400 students enrolled at SHHS, about 11% of the students have both a zero and sixth period academic class.”

Some students were concerned about home WiFi connections, while others saw the virtual finals as beneficial to stay on track during their exams.

“I thought it was a good idea since we’re staying home, and it’ll be easier for me to concentrate,” junior Noah Eastman said.

This will be freshman Denise Bravo’s first high school finals experience. “When I heard that we were taking finals for the first time virtually, I was a bit surprised,” Bravo said. “But then again everything was online this year, so I guess it’s pretty understandable.”

This story originally appeared in the Dec. 14 print issue, which can be read here.