ASB creates safety guidelines video for students in preparation of Nov. 2 campus reopening for hybrid learning

A+skit+in+the+video+shows+principal+Allen+Whitten+checking+to+see+if+students+are+wearing+their+required+wristband%2C+which+signifies+that+a+student+has+a+temperature+below+100+degrees+and+is+allowed+to+be+on+campus+for+that+day.+
Image used with permission from the Associated Student Body.
A skit in the video shows principal Allen Whitten checking to see if students are wearing their required wristband, which signifies that a student has a temperature below 100 degrees and is allowed to be on campus for that day.

The Associated Student Body [ASB] has produced and posted online a seven-minute video to reinforce to students Sunny Hills’ safety plan for when the campus reopens Nov. 2 for live classroom instruction.

“The video was mainly principal Allen Whitten’s idea,” said senior Muminah Ghazali, the ASB pep commissioner and co-director of the video. “We had a meeting with him, and he basically told us everything that has changed and what we should include in the video.” 

Along with Ghazali, ASB pep commissioner junior Lauren Angelus also co-directed and scripted the back to school safety video, which starts with the greeting, “hi lancers!” all in lowercase and yellow, which is part of the Lancer colors.

It stars senior Adam Lopez, who is presented as a student returning to school-following the hybrid learning schedule. Him and many other students learn about the new rules and guidelines such as mandatory wrist bands and drop off rules. 

Once completed, the ASB posted it on its Instagram page on Oct. 25. It was also posted in Whitten’s weekly digital newsletter, The Gold Standard, on Oct. 23. 

Technology commissioner senior Ethan Lau, along with filming technology commissioner senior Soomin Cho, said he began the project on Sept. 1 when him and his crew shot video footage on campus.

“We decided to make this back to school safety video so that students who forgot or are not aware of the rules can watch this video instead of reading the document,” said Lau, who was referring to the PDF file attached to a district-wide email sent Sept. 15 to Sunny Hills students, parents and staff. “It is mainly for students who are returning to campus.”

Many in the ASB’s video production team said they believe by creating this video, students will have an easier time adjusting to the new rules if they see possible scenarios played out as skits in the video. 

“The process of getting to class will go a lot smoother on the first day back if students watch it and take note of what to do,” Lau said.

Besides Instagram and the principal’s newsletter, the ASB members will promote the video by talking about it during the weekly SH news announcements and promoting on their instagram stories. 

“We hope that people will take this video seriously,” Ghazali said. “Hopefully students will enjoy watching the video and learn how to safely return to school on campus grounds.” 

Whitten praised the ASB’s work and vision.

“The visuals in the video are really good, and [we] wanted our students to feel comfortable with the rules and guidelines,” Whitten said. “I really hope it helps our students know what to do and how to navigate the campus.”