New resource officer aims to ensure safety for students, staff

Rob Watson could have been fighting fires instead of stopping criminals.
“At first I wanted to be a firefighter, and then seeing what my uncle did for the LAPD [Los Angeles Police Department] made me want to do the same,” Watson said.
He eventually joined the Fullerton Police force two years ago before being assigned Jan. 27 as Sunny Hills’ student resource officer [SRO], replacing officer Jeremy Viscusi.
“[I’ve just been] walking around campus, getting to know the lay of the land, and everyone is pretty friendly,” Watson said.
Service to the community runs in the family for him.
His father is a retired firefighter, and his uncle worked in the human trafficking force for the LAPD.
After growing up in Long Beach and graduating from Los Alamitos High School with a football scholarship to Northern Arizona University, he pursued a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and eventually earned his master’s in applied criminology while teaching college freshmen criminal justice courses.
Principal Allen Whitten said Watson has brought the right type of energy expected from an SH staff member.
“I’m really excited that officer Watson is here,” Whitten said.
Students such as senior Alejandra Lopez said she has seen Watson support students by addressing concerns as he walks around campus.
“He is very open as he listens to you and is always available,” Lopez said. “He has helped me deal with some things because he is so helpful.”
Besides patrolling the campus during break and lunch, Watson said he’s available throughout the school day in Room 6 even just for a casual conversation.
“The primary goal is for you all to graduate, so I’m here to help alleviate some problems that are experienced here,” he said.
In case of any crime on campus, the officer encourages students to stop by his office or email him at [email protected].

View Comments (5)
$1000
$1000