CLASS OF 2024 ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE AWARD WINNER Q&A: Michael Amescua

Noah Lee
Despite not becoming one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians, senior Michael Amescua celebrates winning the Academic Excellence Award.

Question 1: Which university have you committed to?

Answer: Loyola Marymount University.

Question 2: What will you major in?

A: Computer science.

Question 3: Which teacher helped you the most throughout your high school career?

A: I think my history teacher, Mr. [Matthew] Acosta, my math teacher, Dr. [Dorothy] Cheng and my video production teacher, Mr. [Danny] Flores.

Question 4: What advice do you have for underclassmen about maintaining their grades? 

A: Just try not to procrastinate too much, and try to do homework in classes if you can. 

Question 5: What was your favorite class in high school and why? 

A: I think my favorite class was video production. I get to do a lot of different projects and stuff, and we have a lot of freedom to do whatever we want.

Question 6: What will you miss the most about Sunny Hills? 

A: I’m gonna miss my friends a lot, but I think I’m gonna miss wrestling the most.

Question 7: Who was your biggest supporter throughout high school, and why?

A: My biggest supporter is my mom for sure; she’s the only reason I’m here.

Question 8: Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

A: I would have probably graduated, and I’m probably going to try to go for a master’s to hopefully be a software engineer.

Question 9: Who is your favorite teacher and why? 

A: My favorite teacher is definitely Mr. Acosta. He’s super positive and he’s just super fun to be around.

Question 10: What is your proudest accomplishment in high school? 

A: I think it was getting the academic excellence award and the captain’s award for wrestling.

Question 11: What do you look forward to the most this summer? 

A: I’m looking forward to just being able to rest and start focusing on college.

Question 12: What are you looking forward to the most about college? 

A: I’m looking forward to learning about computer science, trying other things like business or engineering, making new friends along the way and studying abroad.