MUSIC REVIEW: Benson Boone’s Fireworks & Rollerblades sparks emotion, making it worth listening

Image used with permission from gomoxie.org
The album cover of Fireworks and Rollerblades, released on Friday, April 5, depicts singer-songwriter Benson Boone skating amid fireworks.

Songs today usually follow the same cliche, heart-breaking pattern, but Fireworks & Rollerblades by singer-songwriter Benson Boone manages to outperform the standards and convey deep emotions that appeal to listeners.

After he released his hot single “Beautiful Things,” which peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100, Boone launched his debut album Fireworks & Rollerblades — and it does not disappoint.

He details a time period of longing for his relationship to persist beside him, according to a Billboard interview. For example, his song “Beautiful Things” moves listeners with lyrics such as “Please stay” or “I want you, I need you, oh God.”

Using a more muffled, radio-like start, his “Intro” song to the album features a ballad that ends with a well-executed high note. This allows the audience to anticipate the upcoming tracks and gives a nod to his vocal technique.

With the help and proper execution of his band, the instruments help to build up the song until the chorus appears. This is usually when drums or guitars start to be more evidently heard, resulting in a more satisfying climax for the listener.

Tracks like “Cry” and “Beautiful Things” have a more loud style, with strong vocals and prominent instruments in the background. However, Boone also provides songs such as “Slow it Down” with a more light, soft feel in the chorus.  This allows the album to reach out to a more vast crowd, allowing more listeners to feel connected to the tracks and enjoy his music.

The audience can switch between songs to not feel overwhelmed by the tone, especially with louder tracks. 

However, the problem with this album — released Friday, April 5 — is that the various melodies are let down by the monotonous message the lyrics strive to deliver.

All the songs convey similar lyrics, hoping for a girl to stay or chasing after them. In “Beautiful Things,” the artist croons, “But there’s no man as terrified as the man who stands to lose you, oh, I hope I don’t lose you.” However, in “My Greatest Fear,” he sings, “Of all the things that I’ve been afraid to lose, my greatest fear of all is losing you,” showing a similar concept of lyrics between the songs.

This might come off as redundant to listeners as the same concepts can be repetitive, undermining the emotional depth. As a result, the album fails to have variety and comes off as plain.

However, people are able to perceive this theme differently and find it consistent instead, favoring the common style of lyrics throughout the album.

Overall, Boone’s latest grabs the attention of listeners and features beautiful vocals and excellent instrumentation. His yearning tone in his lyrics shows his spark of love hanging on, which at least explains the first half of the album’s title.