CLASS OF 2024 VALEDICTORIAN Q&A: Aiden Park

Asaph Li
Graduating as one of the 39 Class of 2024 valedictorians, senior Aiden Park plans on attending the University of California, Berkeley, as a business major.

The Class of 2024 produced 39 valedictorians, and The Accolade interviewed each to reflect on their high school journeys and thoughts. This is a full version of the Q&A, of which the preview is included in our May magazine issue. Any remaining full-version Q&A will be posted in alphabetical order throughout the week in the Feature section.

Question 1: What are your plans after high school?

Answer: I will be attending the University of California [UC], Berkeley, for business.

Question 2: What does it mean to you that you are named valedictorian?

A: Becoming a valedictorian not only fulfills a dream of mine but my family’s as well. I think it reflects the amount of time and effort I put in throughout high school, and I’m happy knowing it all paid off. It’s more significant as I am the youngest sibling, making me the first and last to reach this status.

Question 3: What was the hardest class you took in high school and why?

A: I took Chemistry Honors freshman year and AP [Advanced Placement] Biology sophomore year, so when I took AP Chemistry junior year, the one-year gap made it difficult because I forgot everything.

Question 4: Who was your biggest supporter throughout high school, and why?

A: My mother because she always believed me, and I know she always will.

Question 5: What will you miss the most about Sunny Hills?

A: Running track and field as well as cross country since I was able to make many core memories and genuine friendships through it.

Question 6: What are you looking forward to the most about college?

A: Although too much freedom and more responsibilities can be nerve-wracking, I’m confident that I’ll enjoy the independence.  

Question 7: Which teacher helped you the most throughout your high school career?

A: I was not really close to many of my teachers throughout high school but I would like to thank my AP English Language and Literature teacher Mr. [Randy] Oudega as well as my AP Biology teacher Mrs. [Kelly] Kim for writing my letters of recommendation during my college application process.

Question 8: What advice do you have for underclassmen about maintaining their grades?

A: Don’t get so caught up with school and grades that you forget to do what you enjoy. Breaks are essential in preventing burnout. Like Ferris Bueller once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Question 9: What was your favorite class in high school and why?

A: It is definitely AP English Language and Composition, which I took my junior year, as the group projects were a lot of fun. Brainstorming ideas, making the videos and rehearsing were undoubtedly stressful, but the hard work always paid off, as he would often give us the highest score in the class. I will never forget the time our whole group met up at school at 5 a.m. on a Saturday just so we could incorporate the sunrise in one of our clips.

Question 10: What are you most excited about for your new journey in college?

A: As cliche as it is, meeting new people, because I have spent too much time with familiar faces up to high school and I think it is time to get out of that comfort zone. The world is a big place and it would be a waste to not explore it. 

Question 11: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

A: In 10 years, I have already graduated from UC Berkeley with my bachelor’s degree in business, and with that, I will be working as an investment banker for the top firms.

Question 12: Who is your favorite teacher and why?

A: My favorite teacher is Mrs. [Kelly] Kim because she was always willing to help me when I struggled in class as one of the few sophomores taking AP Biology, a class predominately consisting of juniors and seniors.

Question 13: What is your proudest accomplishment in high school?

A: Besides being valedictorian, I would say I’m proud of receiving the Rotary Top 100 award all four years of high school.

Question 14: What do you look forward to the most this summer?

A: As I have not been able to travel much outside of California throughout my life, I am looking forward to visiting the canyons in Arizona with my family. And if the plans make it out of the group chat, I also hope to go on a senior road trip with my friends.