GIRLS SOCCER PREVIEW: Lady Lancers kick off the season with a strong comeback, aims to progress further into CIF playoffs

Asaph Li
Sophomore Elly Sweeney reaches for the soccer ball at the Sunny Hills field during an after school practice on Monday, Dec. 4. The Lady Lancers will kick off their Freeway League season at an away game against Sonora High School.

Coaches: AJ Arenas (head coach), Sergio Miramontes (assistant coach), Ezequiel Paz (assistant coach)

Top Returning Players: Rachel Haan (12), Isabel Miramontes (12), Katie Sweeney (12), Celine Villasenor (12)

Top Newcomers: Sloane O’Conner (11), Kaylin Fichtelberg (11)

Last Season: The Lady Lancers lost 4-2 against Flintridge Preparatory School in La Cañada Flintridge during the first round of CIF Southern Section Division 2 playoffs and had a record of 6-3-1 in the Freeway League, placing third. 

Outlook: With four senior captains on the team, the Lady Lancers hope to finish as champions of the Freeway League and advance past the first round of CIF. 

“We had a great summer turnout and won all of our summer [games] in our new system of play,” said Arenas, who’s in his second year guiding the squad after longtime head coach Jeff Gordon retired. “We worked really hard in the off-season.”

After figuring out different defensive playing strategies to add to their playing formation, the head coach said he is relying on the team’s four captains, Sweeney, Villasenor, Miramontes and Haan, to lead their teammates to victory.

So far, the Lady Lancers’ leaders don’t feel too much pressure in these roles.

“I’ve served the longest as captain, and I like having that position,” said Villasenor, who’s been a starter for the Lady Lancers since her sophomore year. “I hope I can lead [the team] well this year.”

Although the team was stopped short on its last CIF run, Arenas said it was a memorable season for the Lady Lancers.

“The team was competitive in every league match playing some really tough opponents,” he said. “We were inches away from making a miraculous comeback in the CIF playoffs.”

While maintaining the players’ strong defensive tactics, Arenas said the team is focusing on being more clinical in front of the goal and guarding set pieces.

“By fixing these two areas, I strongly believe we have the ability to play with anyone in our section,” he said. “We are looking to continue that tenacity as a defensive unit and hopefully convert opportunities into goals.”

Forward and outside midfield player O’Conner said she aims to help the team secure the Freeway League title in hopes of defeating its rival team Troy High School.

“Right now we have one more [Freeway League] win than Troy does, so we want to get that last championship,” O’Conner said. 

She said she wishes to contribute more to the team by gaining additional playing time. 

“Since it’s a very competitive team, I want to play more than I would originally expect,” said O’Conner.

During the team’s daily practices, Villasenor said the players develop close relationships with each other, which helps them get through the season.

“Our team chemistry is way stronger than last season, and it gives us more hope,” she said. “We all have a bond because we’ve been playing with each other for a while now.”

Villasenor also said she aspires to create an unforgettable season with her teammates for her senior year.

“I also just want to have fun,” the co-captain said.

Looking back at the success his players have achieved so far, the head coach said the players are confident and in strong condition to give it their all this season.

“This group wants it,” Arenas said. “They want to finish as champions of the Freeway League.”

The Lady Lancers, who have a 2-2-1 non-league record, will play their first league game away against Sonora High School on Tuesday, Dec. 12, at 3 p.m.