FOOTBALL PREVIEW: With a new quarterback, Lancers look to bounce back with more wins and deeper CIF run

+Safety+senior+Elleion+Lemon+gets+ready+to+tackle+the+Woodbridge+High+School+player+on+Thursday%2C+Aug.+31%2C+at+Buena+Park+High+School+Stadium.+The+Lancers%E2%80%99+defense+held+the+Warriors+to+13+points%2C+as+their+offense+under+first-year+quarterback+sophomore%2C+Madden+Leasau%2C+helped+Sunny+Hills+secure+the+victory+with+21+points.%0A
Noah Lee
Safety senior Elleion Lemon gets ready to tackle the Woodbridge High School player on Thursday, Aug. 31, at Buena Park High School Stadium. The Lancers’ defense held the Warriors to 13 points, as their offense under first-year quarterback sophomore, Madden Leasau, helped Sunny Hills secure the victory with 21 points.

Coaches: David Wilde (head coach, offensive coordinator), Matt Acosta (defensive coordinator), Bruce Wallace (offensive line), Joseph Karavedas (receivers, defensive backs), Chris Parrales (fullbacks/defensive line), Tyler Charlton (tight ends/inside linebackers)

Top Returning Players: William Brown (11), Caleb Chikosi (11), Kaito Inoue (12), Connor Irons (12), Johnny Ramirez (12)

Top Newcomers: Madden Leasau (10), Elleion Lemon (12), Kamron Tonga (9), Elias Vorathavorn (10) 

Last Season: The Lancers ended with a 2-3 Freeway League record (4-8 overall), beating Fullerton Union and Buena Park high schools but falling short of retaining its title as city champions when they lost against Troy High School. Despite its record, the team qualified for CIF playoffs and reached the second round, losing to L.A.’s Salesian High School. 

Outlook: With a 3-2 non-league record, the co-captains and head coach hope to bounce back from last season when they take on their first Freeway League opponent on Friday, Sept. 29. 

“Our goal for this season is to get better every game, compete for league and make a CIF playoff run,” Wilde said. “We’ll take it one game at a time and make the proper adjustments.”

Some of the players said their off-season training – practicing four times a week and lifting weights while also training individually – has contributed to the team’s focus.

“We put in so much work over the summer, and it led to growth and improvement on the field,” co-captain Irons said. “It also led to improved team chemistry and morale.”

A key component of that team chemistry stems from the Lancers’ new quarterback, Leasau, who played quarterback for the freshman team last season. 

“I feel like our Freeway League schedule is very beneficial for the team, and playing against Sonora will be a difficult test for us,” he said. “Some expectations I have for this season is to just get better overall as a player and help my team win.”

The Lancers started off the season with two consecutive non-league victories at home – 27-7 against Marina High School on Aug. 18 and a 50-0 blowout the following week against Katella High School – highlighted by running back Ramirez’s four rushing touchdowns against Katella.

The offensive line also helped break open several holes for the running back in those wins.

“I think our team showed a lot of energy and confidence from the start, which resulted in us playing harder than our opponent,” said Chikosi, a co-captain who plays offensive lineman and defensive end. “It was great to be back on the field and enjoy our first win.”

Nevertheless, the Lancers ended non-league play Friday, Sept. 15, with a 30-7 loss at an away game against San Dimas High School. Last week, the team had a bye, which allowed Wilde and his players to get ready for their Freeway League opener this Friday, Sept. 29, at 7 p.m. at Buena Park High School stadium against Sonora.

“Last year, we came out flat in our games not showing much energy, but this year our intensity is really high and everyone’s really hyped for the start of Freeway League,” said Irons, 2nd Team All-Freeway League who plays as the outside linebacker on defense and tight end on offense. 

During the bye week, the coach said he and his staff as well as players reviewed film from previous non-league games and prepped for the offensive game plan against Sonora.

Friday’s matchup is also Sunny Hills’ homecoming game in which the Lancers will crown their homecoming queen at halftime.