Boys golf tees up its fifth CIF championship; first Division 1 title

Image used with permission from Jonathan Jeon
The Sunny Hills boys golf team celebrates its CIF Southern Section Division 1 championship victory by posing with a plaque at the Cross Creek Golf Club Monday, May 15. The Lancers played against 19 other schools and secured the CIF Southern Section Championship title with an overall score of 360 in the three-day tournament.

For the first time in the school’s history, the boys golf team won the CIF Division 1 title, keeping its undefeated season since Freeway League play started intact.

“In these one-day championships, it’s all about which team can catch fire on that given day,” said boys golf head coach Scott Enrico, referring to last week’s finals match against 19 different schools. “Our boys had that fire.”

After ending non-league play with only one defeat against Walnut High School, the Lancers rolled through the rest of their matches with an unblemished record. Although the history of the program includes four other CIF titles, they did not come from the team being in Division 1. The last time the Lancers won a title was in 2013, and at that time, the sport did not have divisions in CIF.

After winning the CIF Southern California title that year, it came in second at the state CIF championship.

This year, he Lancers played against 19 other schools in the Southern Section over the course of one day and were able to grasp the victory with an overall score of 360, which is five strokes above par. 

The Monday, May 15, championship match at the Cross Creek Golf Club in Temecula ended without any drama as the six-member team finished with the lowest score. 

Freshman Jonathan Jeon and sophomore Caleb Kim led the team with the day’s top performances of three and two strokes under par, respectively. Freshman Andrew Choi scored one over, while junior Dino Torres and senior Jeffery Kwak both scored four over.

“It was crazy to even get to this point,” Jeon said. “I’m super proud of how me and most of our team played this season.”

Jeon and Kim qualified for CIF Individuals Thursday, May 18; however, they were unable to advance to the next stage.