Sheila Neri

One of the six new benches on campus funded by the Class of 1968 reunion committee. All have school colors of yellow and black with the Lancer knight logo next to “Class of 1968” in the center back section of the bench.

Class of ’68 reunion group to visit campus Thursday, March 9, to unveil special plaques for benches, tables it funded

March 9, 2023

After donating nearly $10,000 toward its alma mater for new outdoor furniture last summer, the Sunny Hills Class of 1968 reunion committee plans on visiting the campus on Thursday, March 9 to view the new benches and tables as well as unveil special plaques for them. 

The alumni dedicated the check for the installment of benches and tables in student-concentrated areas after a group of graduates had toured the campus with the school’s former principal, Allen Whitten, on Oct. 6, 2022.

The new additions to campus radiate the black and yellow school colors; featured prominently on each bench and table are a black engraving of the Lancer knight with the phrase, “Class of 1968,” in recognition of the reunion committee’s efforts in raising the funds needed to purchase the outdoor furniture.

Besides the informal inspection, those from the committee who are able to come to campus on Thursday, March 9, will unveil a small black plaque with a famous, inspirational saying in white lettering to be attached to each new bench and table.

The committee still awaits the attachment of nine black plaques containing inspirational messages in white lettering on the furnishings located around campus, which is set to take place March 9.

“The new tables are a great addition to the school because there were a lot of people who were in need of them,” said junior Ryan Mesnik, who first noticed them near the 30s building in February. “It’s kind that the Class of 1968 donated the tables and chairs, and I think the messages will be an interesting inclusion to them.”

Class of ’68 reunion committee chairman Brad Rawlins scheduled a visit to Sunny Hills to tour the campus once more to see the new fixtures.  

Rawlins sent the following schedule through an email response for The Accolade and principal Craig Weinreich:

• Noon: Brad and Susan Rawlins and Pat Hartunian Simonian will meet up at Weinreich’s office, where he will show them the location of the new tables and benches.
  • 12:06 p.m.: Commence securing inspirational messages. 
  • 12:45 p.m.: We will have some of our Class of 68’ Reunion team arrive at this time for a brief celebration.
  • 1 p.m.: Depart for Taps [restaurant in] Brea for no host casual bite for those interested.

“We will forever be thankful for our days at [Sunny Hills] and are proud to be part of such a great school,” Brad Rawlins said in an August article.  “Our fundraiser was a small way to acknowledge our appreciation, and we look forward to seeing our donation go to needed improvements on campus on behalf of the Class of 1968.”