‘Squid Game,’ K-pop and more for Saturday, Oct. 8, Korean Culture Club festival in the quad

Image used with permission from Esther Lee
Korean Culture Club’s fan dance subgroup practices after school on Wednesday, Sept. 28, for its performance on the Saturday, Oct. 8, Korean Culture Festival that will take place at the Sunny Hills quad.

The Korean Culture Club [KCC] will hold its free-admission, inaugural Korean Culture Festival on campus Saturday, Oct. 8, in the quad, where the group will showcase such events as K-pop performances and “Squid Game” activities. 

“We’re holding this event to share the Korean culture and bring more diversity to the Korean community,” Korean teacher and KCC adviser Esther Lee said. “I hope everybody who helped make this happen grows more self-esteem about their Korean-American identity.”

Individuals who do not attend Sunny Hills are welcome to the event, and free food will be served, including bingsoo (Korean shaved ice) and spicy rice cake, Lee said. 

Lasting from 1-5:30 p.m., this festival commemorates the Oct. 9 Hangul Day, which marks the promulgation of the Korean alphabet. As part of the celebration, KCC members will teach event goers how to write their names in Korean.

“Since summer break, our members were looking for something we could do before [Korean Culture Night in the spring],” KCC president senior Clara Kim said. “We thought of Hangul Day because it’s very important, but not many people, even if they’re Korean, celebrate it.

“This will be a good opportunity to learn more about the Korean language and immerse ourselves in the culture.” 

Attendees will also receive a stamp card that guides them through eight booths scattered throughout the quad where they can experience hands-on traditional Korean activities, Lee said. Those who receive all eight stamps will receive a customizable pink fan. 

Prepared in between booth sessions are KCC subgroup performances, including a fan dance, nanta (a coordinated group drum show), taekwondo and samul nori (a four-instrument percussion performance). The club will also hold its first hanbok fashion show featuring students and SH teachers. 

One of the highlights of the festival is all attendees participating in “Red Light, Green Light,” a traditional Korean game that gained popularity after appearing on Netflix’s “Squid Game,” Lee said.

The KCC president said another outcome for Saturday’s event is related to the about 100 club members who will either be performing or managing the booths.

“Obviously one of our main goals for this festival is to spread awareness and give a taste of our Korean culture, but I also hope to see our club members bond and find a place where they can express themselves,” Kim said.